(1) Hello (2) Questions about scar and concentration post-HT

I have been a regular reader of this forum for about 18 months and a member for about three. The forum is a great facility; whereas people like me (who remain mostly silent) occasionally feel like furtive eavesdroppers, it is a huge help to hear from those who have been though it all. (Actually, it's worse than eavesdropping - people who eavesdrop only listen, whereas I've been looking at your medical pictures!) So I shall stop peering at you all through the rustling curtains and say hello properly: hello. icon_smile.gif

It is my intention to write more fully about my thoughts and experiences once I have had my HT. I'm from the UK and it's coming up next month. If it wasn't for this forum (and a certain chap called Spex) I'd be heading for a place not a million miles from Birmingham that you lot have roundly trashed. So thank you all! Instead, after months and months of research, I'm off to see what a cockney here in the UK might call "a fine Feller" in NYC.

There are certain questions that I think are best asked of more people, as the experience varies from person to person. I have two. Here goes:

1. I have my HT and fly back to the UK overnight the next day. I managed, with great difficulty, to diarise about 3 to 4 weeks of post-HT "downtime". Then something came up at the last minute ... Separate to this, I have been waiting for a particular job opportunity to arise for two years (yep, two years). It's a great job. They advertise vacancies rarely. It's competitive. Before they even call people for an assessment day and interview, candidates have to sit and pass a qualification test, being an hour-long written exam.

The day after I paid my deposit (I'm not kidding - really, the day after), the vacancy gets advertised and the recruitment timetable is published. And guess what? The qualification test is being run on the second and third day after the HT op. *panicked grimace* In terms of luck, it's just about up there with the wholesale collapse of sterling promptly after I'd decided to take advantage of the weak dollar and go across the pond ...

I am back in the UK then, and so I can do it, in the sense that I can physically attend. There will be a number of people there and I'll probably know a few of them. The issue for me is not the potential embarrassment (I think I can get away with wearing a hat), but how well I can concentrate. Trust me when I say that there is no way I can change the date of the qualification test and trust me when I say that, if I wait for a clear gap in my diary again, we are talking 2010 for the HT at the earliest.

That's the background. Here's the question: for those of you who've been through this, particularly with the jetlag and pain and painkillers, would you have been able to sit an exam for an hour? (I know it's nothing any of you would recommend - I only want to know if I'm being stupid by thinking it's achievable. And I won't pay attention to answers that involves stimulants above and beyond caffeine ...)

2. The scar. That testament to scalp that was formerly the home to 3,000 happy hairs on a Norwood MPB 3. That wide thin red smile on the back of the head, like a pumpkin version of Voldemort peering out from the back of Professor Quirrell. From the pictures I have seen (and thanks again to you all), it is a happy chappie indeed who manages to keep it hidden at 3 to 4 weeks post-HT. There seem to be two options: (a) go for the all-over buzz and reveal that stapled grin for all the world to see; (b) keep hair reasonably long at the back (e.g. #6) to cover it, but give the impression that the front third has been inserted into a head-sized pencil sharpener. I am willing to use concealers if necessary ...

So here's the question. My job involves standing up in front of a lot of people. I don't want to be "hair transplant guy". If you lot had your time again, what length would you have had your hair pre-HT? And what length would you have ideally wanted it to be when you emerged from your cocoon?

Thanks folks.

17 Feb 09 - 3,200 FUs by strip surgery (Dr Feller)

My Hair Loss Website

I have been a regular reader of this forum for about 18 months and a member for about three. The forum is a great facility; whereas people like me (who remain mostly silent) occasionally feel like furtive eavesdroppers, it is a huge help to hear from those who have been though it all. (Actually, it's worse than eavesdropping - people who eavesdrop only listen, whereas I've been looking at your medical pictures!) So I shall stop peering at you all through the rustling curtains and say hello properly: hello. icon_smile.gif

It is my intention to write more fully about my thoughts and experiences once I have had my HT. I'm from the UK and it's coming up next month. If it wasn't for this forum (and a certain chap called Spex) I'd be heading for a place not a million miles from Birmingham that you lot have roundly trashed. So thank you all! Instead, after months and months of research, I'm off to see what a cockney here in the UK might call "a fine Feller" in NYC.

There are certain questions that I think are best asked of more people, as the experience varies from person to person. I have two. Here goes:

1. I have my HT and fly back to the UK overnight the next day. I managed, with great difficulty, to diarise about 3 to 4 weeks of post-HT "downtime". Then something came up at the last minute ... Separate to this, I have been waiting for a particular job opportunity to arise for two years (yep, two years). It's a great job. They advertise vacancies rarely. It's competitive. Before they even call people for an assessment day and interview, candidates have to sit and pass a qualification test, being an hour-long written exam.

The day after I paid my deposit (I'm not kidding - really, the day after), the vacancy gets advertised and the recruitment timetable is published. And guess what? The qualification test is being run on the second and third day after the HT op. *panicked grimace* In terms of luck, it's just about up there with the wholesale collapse of sterling promptly after I'd decided to take advantage of the weak dollar and go across the pond ...

I am back in the UK then, and so I can do it, in the sense that I can physically attend. There will be a number of people there and I'll probably know a few of them. The issue for me is not the potential embarrassment (I think I can get away with wearing a hat), but how well I can concentrate. Trust me when I say that there is no way I can change the date of the qualification test and trust me when I say that, if I wait for a clear gap in my diary again, we are talking 2010 for the HT at the earliest.

That's the background. Here's the question: for those of you who've been through this, particularly with the jetlag and pain and painkillers, would you have been able to sit an exam for an hour? (I know it's nothing any of you would recommend - I only want to know if I'm being stupid by thinking it's achievable. And I won't pay attention to answers that involves stimulants above and beyond caffeine ...)

2. The scar. That testament to scalp that was formerly the home to 3,000 happy hairs on a Norwood MPB 3. That wide thin red smile on the back of the head, like a pumpkin version of Voldemort peering out from the back of Professor Quirrell. From the pictures I have seen (and thanks again to you all), it is a happy chappie indeed who manages to keep it hidden at 3 to 4 weeks post-HT. There seem to be two options: (a) go for the all-over buzz and reveal that stapled grin for all the world to see; (b) keep hair reasonably long at the back (e.g. #6) to cover it, but give the impression that the front third has been inserted into a head-sized pencil sharpener. I am willing to use concealers if necessary ...

So here's the question. My job involves standing up in front of a lot of people. I don't want to be "hair transplant guy". If you lot had your time again, what length would you have had your hair pre-HT? And what length would you have ideally wanted it to be when you emerged from your cocoon?

Thanks folks.

My Hair Loss Website

1. Pain 3 days post-op is not bad. You could sit through an exam; the problem will be sleeping in the week after the operation. You will feel run down due to lack of sleep and general discomfort. This may impact your test performance.

2) There is not good way to hide the artifacts of the HT. You will absolutely not want to advertise the scar! That will stand out in peoples mind's and be remembered.

The scalp redness and roughness may persist for 4-5 months and you will look awkward, but that can be explained away as sunburn, acne, allergic reaction.

The way the HT will be most obvious is if you have native hair (combover or other) that is shaved and/or shocked from the procedure.

The best way to "hide" the HT, would be to clip your hair short 1-2 months before the procedure, and remove any top hair so that people get used to seeing you bald. You do not want any sudden changes to your appearance.

Thanks - that's very helpful Emperor. I appreciate the suggestion.

By the way, on re-reading my post, I thought I should clarify that I was not suggesting that the blog pictures made any of you look remotely like a stapled grinner or a pencil-sharpened head. It's just that British sense of humour ... icon_rolleyes.gif

My Hair Loss Website

Welcome, Acrobaz.

You may want to ask Dr. Feller about his thoughts on taking the exam.

I bring this up as I was advised not to bend over when picking things up and not to keep moving my head in a downwards motion (chin going towards the chest) for at least 5 days.

I was told that doing so greatly increases the risk of the scar/cut stretching in this time.

I had stitches, and I believe Dr. Feller uses staples - so maybe this is not the case, but I think it's worth asking as your head would be in such a position for an hour while you are writing, also bending over the table to write may causes some stretching?

Have you though asking dr. Feller to change the date of HT?

Each patient's experience varies widely, but I would not have any problem writing an exam 2 days after my HT, nor that anybody would see that i had HT.

Since you are a NW3, the surgery will not be a large mega session, and thus the risk and level of pain would probably be lower. Good luck for the exam and HT.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Well that's quite a conundrum. I personally don't think I could have taken the test at that point. I was taking painkillers which made me drowsy. Well I guess I could have taken it but my performance would have been considerably less than optimal.

If you fail and can have another go another time that's different to it always being a bad sign if you failed once.

Good luck.

• 6 months later...