transition zone hairline

Belgiumdude

As you might know, an original hairline has much finer hairs than the ones that are in your donor-area. How is this best solved when you want to have good hairline-work??

Can this be 'solved' by graduations of density? i mean if you would go for 80 grafts/cm2, would it be better to put 50g/cm2 in the first 2mm, than put 65 in the next two and go to 80 behind that or will that look stupid?

Couldnt it be possible to get the finer hairs with FUE in the neck-area and behind and above the ears, and like that create the appearance of a natural hairline when you go for high density?

I find this a critical point when you are doing hairline AND temple-work. If you have very thick hair, that might look a little weird when it goes from thin hair to thick hair at once.

Check out the pic. You can easily see where the HT begins. Cant this be taken care of with those finer hairs? Or i am trying to be too optimistic?

Sorry if i didnt made myself understood, it is hard to go technical in a language that isnt mine.

Greetz.

hairline.jpg.6eab200a348d45c673c150ea5f106836.jpg

Pictures of my hairloss can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiumdude2004/

As you might know, an original hairline has much finer hairs than the ones that are in your donor-area. How is this best solved when you want to have good hairline-work??

Can this be 'solved' by graduations of density? i mean if you would go for 80 grafts/cm2, would it be better to put 50g/cm2 in the first 2mm, than put 65 in the next two and go to 80 behind that or will that look stupid?

Couldnt it be possible to get the finer hairs with FUE in the neck-area and behind and above the ears, and like that create the appearance of a natural hairline when you go for high density?

I find this a critical point when you are doing hairline AND temple-work. If you have very thick hair, that might look a little weird when it goes from thin hair to thick hair at once.

Check out the pic. You can easily see where the HT begins. Cant this be taken care of with those finer hairs? Or i am trying to be too optimistic?

Sorry if i didnt made myself understood, it is hard to go technical in a language that isnt mine.

Greetz.

You have some excellent questions. Let's evaluate them one by one.

>Can this be 'solved' by graduations of density? i mean if you would go for 80 grafts/cm2, would it be better to put 50g/cm2 in the first 2mm, than put 65 in the next two and go to 80 behind that or will that look stupid? <

The density isn't the issue. Transition zones are. It also helps to create a slightly irregular pattern transitioning with single hair follicles.

>Couldnt it be possible to get the finer hairs with FUE in the neck-area and behind and above the ears, and like that create the appearance of a natural hairline when you go for high density?<

Interesting idea, but be careful. The neck area has many muscles in frequent motion and is more subject to scarring, even with FUE, than other areas. There are "soft" 1 hair follicles from other parts of the head you can use.

>I find this a critical point when you are doing hairline AND temple-work. If you have very thick hair, that might look a little weird when it goes from thin hair to thick hair at once.<

Yes, it would look strange which is why it's good to create gradual transition zones.

Many surgeons recommend using all 1 hair follicular groups for the hairline and using the 2-3 hair follicular groups for added density behind the hairline.

>Check out the pic. You can easily see where the HT begins. Cant this be taken care of with those finer hairs? Or i am trying to be too optimistic?<

Yes, you could soften up the hairline with single follicles.

I am an independent hair transplant surgical consultant and hair loss researcher. Any opinions I have posted are my own. I am working on a few hair loss/transplant projects and will be making some announcements concerning them in the near future.

So you are saying that cureus ( guy in the pic ) didnt have single hair FU's in the front of the hairline and temples?

I am almost positive he does have the single hair FU's there because he went to a very good doc.

Greetz.