Physical activity after surgery?

Can anyone tell me how long you have to wait to work out after the surgery?

I play hockey twice a week and was wondering how long the HT will keep me out! I can imagine I wont want to putting on the helmet for a while! But for how long?

Please let me know

Thanks

canadian_buba

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

Can anyone tell me how long you have to wait to work out after the surgery?

I play hockey twice a week and was wondering how long the HT will keep me out! I can imagine I wont want to putting on the helmet for a while! But for how long?

Please let me know

Thanks

canadian_buba

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

I play hockey too. I stopped for a while after my transplant. Actually have not played since that so going on about 90 days. My reason there is that with a tight fitting helmet and all the contact, I did not want to take a chance on stretching the scar area. I also stopped doing crunches or any type of excercise that pulled on the back of my head.

Now, pls keep in mind that this is just how I feel! I am almost certainly being over-protective but I just want to make sure my investment works out as planned. If that means taking a few months off from grinding pucks out of corners, then so be it. I am pretty sure I will get back to playing in another month or two.

I should also mention that I ride motorcycles a lot and use one to commute to work. Even for that I was not fond of wearing my normal helmet since it fit so snugly and I could feel it pull on my donor area when I moved my head. So I switched to a slightly larger helmet. Not the best solution but I gotta get to work!

Naw, I said squat to em, eh? Most of them think I just pussed out. Not a problem. When I go back and start lighting them up, they'll forget about the time I took off. icon_biggrin.gif

Dr. Pak at NHI- about 900 grafts. Got about 3200 total so far but not all from Pak. Pak knows what he is doing. Wish he had done all of mine but I got my first transplant back in '94.

Dr. Rahal is a tad more conservative than others. I asked the same quesiton you did about physical exercise and decided to wait at least a month. I ended up back at around the six week mark. The concern for most is the stretching of the scar as it is still healing for a lot longer than a month after your transplant.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...