Doctors...How long before tanning?

I would avoid direct sunlight for at least 3 months after the HT.

Having said that I must admit that I got a pretty serious sunburn on my head because of jet skiing just 2 days before my FUE. All worked out fine for me and it did not interfere with the surgery.

1800 grafts strip followed by 2100 FUE by Dr. Jones

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Kazgorat:

As a dermatologist I would recommend you never tan. Tanning is your skins attempts to protect itself from additional injury.

Regarding tanning in the post transplant period, I recommend my patients protect their scalps from sunburn until all pinkness has subsided.

Brad Limmer, MD/jac

icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer

I agree with Dr. Limmer. Tanning can never be recommended by a physician. However, I also think it is important for the patients to understand why tanning is especially bad after hair transplantion. Immediately following the procedure the patients scalp is much more sensitive and can burn even easier than prior to the surgery. Nobody wants to have permanent redness of their scalp. It can take several months for complete healing and the return of normal pigmentation. I always recommend no direct sunlight for two weeks and for an additional 2 months the patient must either wear a hat or wear sunblock.