Undecided about having a transplant...Need advice

FL_BOY

Originally posted by scooping around:

The percentage of people that see the negative side effects of propecia is rare, but they do exist. From what I gather through my research, most of the results that I've seen that does have a bit of "unnatural" look are the patients that have pretty much no hair at all near or at the hair line area. Haven't seen your pics yet, but if you have some natural hair left in the hairline, most of the highly rated surgeons here can do a good job of blending in your transplanted hair with your natural ones, to go by fairly undetectable even under bright lighting environments. Combined with your hair color, skin contrast, and the way you style your hair, you can do a lot to make it even more "undetectable". I'm not as fortunate in that regard that I have black hair, light skin and straight hair, which makes thinning areas more apparent. You can always take a look at the pictures that our surgeons show in their gallery to see if they pass your "natural" test. I'm still about 3 weeks away from my scheduled surgery and will definitly be posting my progress for pictures.

I'm optimistic that propecia will at least do it's job until something else is available. I'm hoping that will happen within 5 years or so. Anyway, I'm a NW2 or 2A and still have quite a bit of hair throughout my hairline, but the thinning is more noticeable. I can still style it, but my hairline doesn't cooperate as well as it used to because the lack of density. My fear is years later I'll lose more hair in front after the HT, and look like a fool. Like you, I too have straight/dark, so it's more noiceable. I had it longer, but decided to cut it short again because it looks thicker. Thanks for all the reassurance and hope to see your results soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a real dilemma, and an interesting story. I was transitioning from female to male. I was taking testosterone for 10 months and realized the extent of my hair loss. I have curly hair and it was easy to miss. I have a receding hairline. I am now back on estrogen and hair has thankfully gotten fluffier and hides some of the damage.

I had a consultation with Dr. Niedbalski in Bellevue, WA. My hairloss is very recent. They suggested 800-1000 units to fill in the widows peaks, top in front to thicken and the temples. He also suggested I used Rogaine to get it to grow back in. He also suggested that with my hormone manipulation there is a slight chance that it could be perminate, but I am likely in it for the long term.

I have been using it for about 3 weeks and I have started peach fuzz at my temples. I don't know if I want to stay on this all my life. I am torn between surgery with in Vancouver. What is better, constant hair maintenance and fear that it's going to fall out, or a hair transplant and back normal? Any thoughts?

B Spot is that you??

Welcome to the joys of being male. Not all aspects are that cool. My guess is that things will return to normal with the change in hormones. Wouldn't going bald make you look more masculine? Just a thought. Not that anyone chooses to want to go bald.

If you do decide to go ahead and get a HT make sure you see a Coalition physician listed on this site. They show consistant results. Good luck.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN-

Yes, at first it was cool having a masculine hairline. But I was realizing that the I was having health issues and am may need to stop my transition proscess. This happened as I realized the amount of hair lost is not okay if I have to return to a female identity. Thanks for the feedback and support.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by scooping around:

well FL-boy...

I just got back from my surgery with Dr. Keene, and starting with the recovery. Let me know if you have any questions about my surgery at all. It was definitly an experience to remember.

Nice, hope it went well. How was the overall experience?