let's revisit the topic of shaving for procedure...pros/cons

I can't find the original discussion on shaving for a transplant. I'm wondering if anyone knows the link (between Epstein and Feller).

I want to know if the issue is in shaving the recipient site or the donor strip and what the dangers are of not shaving (I didn't shave for my HT).

Thanks!!

Asterisk,

There are varying opinions on the topic.

In my opinion, I believe there is a time when shaving is necessary, and almost critical. However, these cases are reserved for transplanting hair in between and around an abundant supply of natural hair.

Because paralel (sagital) incisions make sliding in between and around existing natural hair easier, surgeons who regularly use sagital rather than perpendicular (coronal / lateral) incisions may be able to get away without shaving.

Some physicians will religiously shave because they believe it provides an optimal working environment and promotes better hair growth yield while minimizing shock loss. Others won't shave and believe they can produce results on-par with surgeons who do shave. Surgeons who don't shave the recpient area when transplanting hair in between or around existing natural hair typically take a longer time to complete the surgery, but believe it does not negatively impact hair growth yield or facilitate shock loss.

There are a number of threads on this topic. Feel free to use the "find" feature to search for them. I'm sure others will chime in with their point of view as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

For my next and hopefully last strip procedure here in about a year, I am going to tell them to shave away!! Of course I plan on using Dr. Wong in Vancuover, so I believe it will be required anyway. The reason is that I want this last one to be as large a session as possible, as far back on my head as is feasible, and I already have a lot of hair on my scalp from previous operations plus some native thinning hair back towards the swirl. I want to create the absolute optimal environment, and I can easily hide under a hat for a few months while my hair grows back. Frankly, when you do a large session into existing hair, it seems like the ugly duckling phase is often brutal anyway. Might as well just shave it off IMO. Of course, for those who cannot hide under a hat, I know this is not always feasible. Issues like shaving, redness, etc. tend to be the HARDEST factor for most people in getting an HT. You can't really hide things if your head is shaved. Especially if only the TOP of your head is shaved. If you shave the back to match, the scar will be WAY visible. Recovery time and issues are huge, and sadly very unpredictable. I would not have really been comfortable without a hat after my previous operations for at least a couple of months (maybe more like three). I was NOT shaved. Things were MOSTLY okay after about a month, but not really comfortable for a few months. It is incorrect to assume that you can be back to work in a hatless environment in a couple of weeks without it being noticable, shaved or not. SOME people can. Most probably cannot.

I guess for me, though, I just want to tip every single possible factor in my favor for getting good results. Everybody always says this, and i wonder sometimes if people who have not had an HT really appreciate the significance of this statement: You are STUCK with the results of your operation, and these results will be IMMEDIATELY on display for the rest of your life. Be careful. Bad HT results make baldness seem like a blissful dream.

Stimpy