Number od surgeries:

Hi Everyone,

I just had my third HT. The first was peformed by Dr Wettleland in 2000 while he was with Thomas True. That was about 600 grafts and before I learned a great deal more after that experience. Since then I've had two surgeries with Shapiro. I had just over 2000 grafts done by Dr Rose in October of '02 and another 1600 this week by Dr Paul Shapiro. I'm content enough with what I've had done thus far. Especially when these newbies grow in this spring. Dr P. Shapiro left my hairline alone and thought Dr Rose did a great job. I'm just about to turn 42, have been on Propecia since '99 and next year would consider thickenig up the hairline a bit. Has anyone here had a fourth procedure?

Hi Everyone,

I just had my third HT. The first was peformed by Dr Wettleland in 2000 while he was with Thomas True. That was about 600 grafts and before I learned a great deal more after that experience. Since then I've had two surgeries with Shapiro. I had just over 2000 grafts done by Dr Rose in October of '02 and another 1600 this week by Dr Paul Shapiro. I'm content enough with what I've had done thus far. Especially when these newbies grow in this spring. Dr P. Shapiro left my hairline alone and thought Dr Rose did a great job. I'm just about to turn 42, have been on Propecia since '99 and next year would consider thickenig up the hairline a bit. Has anyone here had a fourth procedure?

Hi Tom,

Well you are right on track with me for 3 surgeries. I know there are people here who have had 4 procedures. The one that jumps out at me right away is Jotronic. I believe he has had 5 HTs, if you count his first two surgeries involving minigrafts back in teh day.

Without knowing any of your background or personal experience...might I ask why you aren't opting for bigger sessions that will minimize the number of sessions needed? Numbers like 2000 and 1600 are decent sizes, but if you needed so many grafts, why not get a larger session at once? Perhaps your donor area lacked the laxity or density for such a large session at once? Perhaps you chose the smaller sessions to stay conservative in case you lost more hair? There are a number of reasons to get large megasessions and to get a number of smaller ones. I'm just wondering why you opted this way.

Anyway...do you have any pictures you can post of your hair so far...or at least before the 1600 grafts? Do you have any immediately post op photos? Lots of luck.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response. I have not really opted for the smaller sessions myself. I still have quite a bit of original hair left on my head. I'm one of those fortunate enough to have fought off hair loss with the assistance of Propecia. All of my smaller procedures have been based on what the doctors could do without really being concerned about severe shock loss while placing grafts between all my exisiting hairs. As a matter of fact, my last HT, Monday, October 30, 2006, Dr Shapiro wanted to go with just 1000 to thicken up the area I was most concerned with. We pushed and I went with 1500 and he added a few to my left temple, which for some reason is not symetrical to my right. Now it is! If I do anything in ther future, I'm goint to opt for adding some density to the hairline but even Dr Shapiro said he doesn't think I need it. Perhaps I'm getting overly aggressive since HT's have come so far in recent years.

• 1 month later...

I may have everyone beat.

5 surgeries dating back to 93!

Leonard in RI did 300 grafts! Can you imagine.

2 with Nusbaum 9 years ago sessions of 700 and 900.

2 with Charles 1400 and 1500 I think.

Have one more scheduled soon 1 week.

Good news is I didnt go to any butchers.

Bad news what a long drawn out process full of donor scarring.