When hair falls out....

Ok my question is that when hair falls out and it is basically a full strand of what seems to be healthy hair (ie not thin) is this hair that is in a so called shedding state and will regrow. I always thought that genetically lost hair kinda just went really thin and basically shrivelled away. So what Im trying to get at is that on a daily basis I get strands of hair that fall out from my front hairline that appear to be "healthy"...will they grow back as part of the shedding regrowth cycle....sorry to warbble on but it concerns me that after having a HT to that area that this stuff will not grow back... icon_eek.gif

Ok my question is that when hair falls out and it is basically a full strand of what seems to be healthy hair (ie not thin) is this hair that is in a so called shedding state and will regrow. I always thought that genetically lost hair kinda just went really thin and basically shrivelled away. So what Im trying to get at is that on a daily basis I get strands of hair that fall out from my front hairline that appear to be "healthy"...will they grow back as part of the shedding regrowth cycle....sorry to warbble on but it concerns me that after having a HT to that area that this stuff will not grow back... icon_eek.gif

LL,

My understanding is that the thick hair that falls out (whether from shock loss or just showering/combing) will grow back. The wispy hair that you probably don't see actually falling out is really the dead follicle. I could be wrong, but that is how I've understood it.

Manko

LL,

My understanding is that the thick hair that falls out (whether from shock loss or just showering/combing) will grow back. The wispy hair that you probably don't see actually falling out is really the dead follicle. I could be wrong, but that is how I've understood it.

Manko

Yeah that was my understanding to...kinda fills me with hope knowing that it may grow back!If anyone else has info on this please share it...thanks

I many times experiment by putting drain in my shower which can trap the tiniest of hair and at end of it I count how many were lost (if I have the patience). I do see plenty of thin whispy stuff, but hard to know if it is body hair or scalp hair. I've heard it's normal to loose 50 to 100 hair a day (i'm guessing that number should be lot less for somebody like me who already has lost lots of hair). Generally, I won't worry if it's in that ballpark, but if you are loosing too many of those healthy hair then, it's probably is a sign that DHT is doing it's job and you gotta do something about it like taking propecia if you aren't taking already.

I many times experiment by putting drain in my shower which can trap the tiniest of hair and at end of it I count how many were lost (if I have the patience). I do see plenty of thin whispy stuff, but hard to know if it is body hair or scalp hair. I've heard it's normal to loose 50 to 100 hair a day (i'm guessing that number should be lot less for somebody like me who already has lost lots of hair). Generally, I won't worry if it's in that ballpark, but if you are loosing too many of those healthy hair then, it's probably is a sign that DHT is doing it's job and you gotta do something about it like taking propecia if you aren't taking already.

no where near 50 -100 definately less....

It is true that everyday some hairs are lost through the normal shedding process. If it is a normal thickness hair then most likely it will come back. If it is a thin (vellous) hair than there is a good chance that is will not return. I usually tell my hair transplant patients that they may have post operative shock fallout of native hair and if they do, 80%-90% will come back and the 10%-20% that does not return were hairs that would have probably been lost within the next year or so. Generally, the more original hair that a person has prior to having surgery, the more likely they will have shock. Propecia has a tendency to keep more hair in a healthier state, and therefore a higher percentage of hairs lost due to post operative shock will probably come back.