Shock Loss? Propecia?

I am week 4 post procedure and started taking Propecia about a week ago. Healing has gone fantastically with absolutely no issues. In fact, two weeks post procedure you would have been hard pressed to even know I had the procedure done at all.

My concern is this; I started to notice that once I started taking the Propecia that I began shedding in the back of my head around the donor area. I can't tell but may also be a bit with my native hair on top and front and other areas. I find a few hairs in my hands when I shampoo and when I run my hands through my hair. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pulling clumps out but occassional hair that seem to be more than I ever noticed before. I don't know if I am being overly concerned but I need to know if this is normal to lose native hair in the donor area and surrounding areas or if I should maybe stop taking the Propecia.

I expected the "normal" shock loss of the transplanted hair but I am freaking a bit about losing my native hair.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

I am week 4 post procedure and started taking Propecia about a week ago. Healing has gone fantastically with absolutely no issues. In fact, two weeks post procedure you would have been hard pressed to even know I had the procedure done at all.

My concern is this; I started to notice that once I started taking the Propecia that I began shedding in the back of my head around the donor area. I can't tell but may also be a bit with my native hair on top and front and other areas. I find a few hairs in my hands when I shampoo and when I run my hands through my hair. Don't get me wrong, I'm not pulling clumps out but occassional hair that seem to be more than I ever noticed before. I don't know if I am being overly concerned but I need to know if this is normal to lose native hair in the donor area and surrounding areas or if I should maybe stop taking the Propecia.

I expected the "normal" shock loss of the transplanted hair but I am freaking a bit about losing my native hair.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Most people do have a little shock-loss around the donor scar........I'm 5 weeks post op today from HT #3 and have a little so I really wouldn't worry about it.

The shed most people are concerned with from Finasteride is usually directed at DHT-susceptible hair that is weak and may not return. A Finasteride Shed is merely a more than normal amount of your hair getting kicked into the telogen (resting) phase, which lasts anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months.

I wouldn't sweat it. You're still fresh from the HT pretty much. I think my shocked hair from HT #2 came back just after 2 months - I could tell the difference between it and new HT hair because the shocked native hair came in thick like beard stubble whereas new HT hair comes in thin and wispy then thickens over time.

Hope this helps -

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.