Comparison of alternatives for correcting cobblestoning

I, like many others, have experienced cobblestoning after a HT. In my particular case they are rather small and still relatively soft after 10 months.

By posting questions and reading other posts, I have determined that the general approach for fixing the problem is either surgical excision or "spot dermabrasion" (from Dr. Bernstein). I am wondering if there may be yet another alternative that would work. Can any doctor here comment on any or all of the following points?

1. "repair work": many doctors perform corrective work, but most seem to be referring to repair of the old 4mm plug type of grafts, not bumps from mini-micro transplants. Does anyone actually repair cobblestoning by removing and re-implanting the raised grafts? Any risks with this approach and should it be done and given time to heal prior to additional surgeries or should it be done at the same time as an additional surgery?

2. "dermabrasion": Most of what I've read about this procedure indicates that the risk/reward trade-off is decidedly tilted toward risk and often does not solve the problem for cobblestoning after a HT. Any doctors with patients for which this approach actually solved the problem?

3. "topical scar treatments": Would the bumps be considered hyper-fibrotic scars? One poster indicated that a product called "scar so soft" worked for him. There are lots of similar products. Does anyone have any experience with this type of approach? Is it safe to use such scar/wound treatments on the scalp or would they possibly kill the follicle?

4. Other possiblities? What about topicals/shampoos that contain ingredients like SOD's (tricomin), copper-peptides (graftcyte), etc that are supposedly good for your follicles anyway.

Obsessing over the bumps from a HT gone awry is far more stressful to me than obesessing over hair loss in general. Thanks in advance to any doctors who wish to take a crack at the above questions. Feel free to overwhelm me with too much information - I am interested in learning as much as I can about this particular topic. icon_smile.gif

I, like many others, have experienced cobblestoning after a HT. In my particular case they are rather small and still relatively soft after 10 months.

By posting questions and reading other posts, I have determined that the general approach for fixing the problem is either surgical excision or "spot dermabrasion" (from Dr. Bernstein). I am wondering if there may be yet another alternative that would work. Can any doctor here comment on any or all of the following points?

1. "repair work": many doctors perform corrective work, but most seem to be referring to repair of the old 4mm plug type of grafts, not bumps from mini-micro transplants. Does anyone actually repair cobblestoning by removing and re-implanting the raised grafts? Any risks with this approach and should it be done and given time to heal prior to additional surgeries or should it be done at the same time as an additional surgery?

2. "dermabrasion": Most of what I've read about this procedure indicates that the risk/reward trade-off is decidedly tilted toward risk and often does not solve the problem for cobblestoning after a HT. Any doctors with patients for which this approach actually solved the problem?

3. "topical scar treatments": Would the bumps be considered hyper-fibrotic scars? One poster indicated that a product called "scar so soft" worked for him. There are lots of similar products. Does anyone have any experience with this type of approach? Is it safe to use such scar/wound treatments on the scalp or would they possibly kill the follicle?

4. Other possiblities? What about topicals/shampoos that contain ingredients like SOD's (tricomin), copper-peptides (graftcyte), etc that are supposedly good for your follicles anyway.

Obsessing over the bumps from a HT gone awry is far more stressful to me than obesessing over hair loss in general. Thanks in advance to any doctors who wish to take a crack at the above questions. Feel free to overwhelm me with too much information - I am interested in learning as much as I can about this particular topic. icon_smile.gif

Follicle:

I have the same condition, "bumps" from

micrografts. After all the research I

did, I have a repair surgery with

Dr. Bernstein next week.

He is going to remove 30-40 grafts and

re-implant them. I don't know if he will dermabrade any other "bumps".

I'm excited and scared. I want my hair &

scalp fixed so I can move on.

Be safe!

mona772,

Best of luck for a successful outcome. If you feel comfortable sharing your experience afterwards I would definitely like to know how it went and what your thoughts are on the outcome.

Still havent seen any replies to these questions other than one kind soul who is in the same situation as me. From what I've read the cobblestoning condition is very common - certainly some of you doctors have some opinions on the issues I've raised.

Follicle:

Cobblestones are quite common with HT.

Not many doctors want to deal with them.

Most just recommend more grafts.

Follicle & John B.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Last Thursday I had a repair session

with Dr. Bernstein. He removed

20 instead of the 30 originally planned.

His staff said it's common for him to

change his mind mid repair.

It's too early to tell if it was worth

it. I still see cobblestones elsewhere.

I realize he can't remove all the "bumps"

Most of the grafts were removed from

the hairline. I thought he would maybe

dermabrade the others. He does not do that.

I thought he mentioned that he uses that technique as well. I was wrong.

After I heal, he recommends a HT session of

1200 grafts to finish me off.

I will get the opinion of Dr. Jack fisher.

He is in Nashville, Tenn. before I

do another HT. He deals with repair work.

I want to elimante most of the cobblestones

prior to more work.

I have to stay positive but it's

easier said than done.

Be safe!

hi guys

glad to see you bring up the subject of micro's-minis i too have had this butchery done 6 years ago at the grand old age of 20!! by a surgeon here in UK who has recently been struck off the medical register here..i have wondered many times wether it would be better to try laser hair removal or have a repair session? i too have pitting..especially when i am exposed to more sun than usual? i was young and stupid i wish pats site was around then. I now shave my head to a grade 2 any more and the donor scar is noticable in some light my frontal area looks ok..but there is a corn row effect(especially the front two rows) of which people only talk about these when refering to plug grafts? So, i am too anxious to hear about the repair teqniques for this problem?i had about 1200 grafts i think? i am not bothered by my hair loss any more just wish to have a good repair job so i can still wear my hair short,i think i would look kinda silly with a full thin look transplant at my age i now know the limitations of transplants.Its hard to get sound advice here in UK ,i am considering going to Dhi medical in greece using the choi implanter..has anyone come across this teqnique? look forward to hearing about the mini micro graft issue....leon

Mona and Leon,

I went to a dermatologist today who also does hair transplants hoping he might have some insight into the problem. He said what Dr. Bernstein had said - that it is a risk that happens to some people. He however, recommended against dermabrasion as he thought it would be too risky and still not solve the problem. I asked about "micro-dermabrasion" which is used for facial peels and he said it may work but you would have to cut your hair real short because the vacuum action of the instrument would suck up the hair. That option is cheap but requires multiple treatments and probably wont have the desired affect.

Turning to my questions about topical solutions, he prescribed "fluocinonide cream" (topical corticosteroid) and "retin-a micro" (tretinoin gel)". He also gave me a scar healing gel called "mederma". I also purchased the "scar so soft" product that someone on hairlosshelp said worked for him. I will try the prescription meds till they are gone and then turn to the others. I don't think I'll bother to return in a month for a follow-up - it will either work or not. Doctor wasn't too thrilled about scar so soft because it is a natural oil (doctor's don't even consider natural alternatives, it seems), but I'll try it anyway, it cant hurt.

Mona - You are probably half way home now considering Dr. B removed some of the cobblestones. Perhaps you can try the other alternatives and see if they help any.

Leon - Nothing they can do for corn-rows except excise them and re-implant or add new grafts to camouflage. As for the pitting, mederma and scar so soft are supposed to help that. The derm said the retin-a heals pitting too.

I have been using graft cyte again and it seems to have made the bumps much smaller. Not sure why but it includes aloe vera gel and copper peptides which help the skin to heal itself. I will keep using these topical remedies and post back in a bit regarding the success I am having, if any.

• 1 month later...

How did your corrective surgery turn out? I'm considering it with Dr. Bernstein. Did you have any follow up transplantation?

Follicle & John B.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Last Thursday I had a repair session

with Dr. Bernstein. He removed

20 instead of the 30 originally planned.

His staff said it's common for him to

change his mind mid repair.

It's too early to tell if it was worth

it. I still see cobblestones elsewhere.

I realize he can't remove all the "bumps"

Most of the grafts were removed from

the hairline. I thought he would maybe

dermabrade the others. He does not do that.

I thought he mentioned that he uses that technique as well. I was wrong.

After I heal, he recommends a HT session of

1200 grafts to finish me off.

I will get the opinion of Dr. Jack fisher.

He is in Nashville, Tenn. before I

do another HT. He deals with repair work.

I want to elimante most of the cobblestones

prior to more work.

I have to stay positive but it's

easier said than done.

Be safe!