Physicians' opinion on use of smokeless tobacco (snuff)

I was curious if this could hurt recently placed grafts in any way. I was curious if its only effect is on the healing and then after that, ten days or so, it could be continued with no problems? I am not sure I could stop using it for long!!!!

I was curious if this could hurt recently placed grafts in any way. I was curious if its only effect is on the healing and then after that, ten days or so, it could be continued with no problems? I am not sure I could stop using it for long!!!!

I do not think any good doctor would recommend regular or smokeless tobacco at anytime for their patients. Smokers tend to have sub optimal circulation, especially in the smaller blood vessels. This can effect the healing process. However, using smokeless tobacco 10-14 days after your procedure will probably not effect the results of the surgery.

I "had" been chewing smokeless tobacco for 10 years. Grossest habit ever, and I wanted to quit for some time, but I had never made any "real" attempt to quit. I finally went to my doctor and asked. I took wellbutrin for a month and a half starting almost three months ago now. I have not chewed since. Tobacco actually grosses me out now. I would recommend you ask your doctor about this as well, as this will positively impact your health in general. Also, a vendor we do business with...guy has been a chewer for some time....lost part of his jaw due to cancer earlier this year....

• 1 year later...

Again, digging throug old posts I came across this poster that stated that Welbutrin helped him stop his tobacco habit. Has anyone else utilized Welbutrin successfully to kick smoking/ smokeless tobacco?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 year later...

I have used it for sometime but never big time (ie. everyday with the can mark worn into the back pocket of my jeans).There is a woman at work who smoked for almost 50 years and used Santrix or Zantrix and was off it in less than 2 months. I never thought I would see that.She passed it on and one of her sons who quit and 4 police officers in the same Dept. used it to quit. All of them agree they can't believe it's not advertised more. It's made by Pfiezer. Just ask your doctor. I know how hard it is to quit though. I've done it a million times. Good luck!