Dr Feller or Spex

PGP,

Unfortunately there is still alot of hype, BS, and outright lying to the public by doctors and their reps about FUE.

It is NOT true that you can "cherry pick" your grafts in any great number. The reason is that you can't always tell from the outside how many follicles are in a particular target graft.

For example. You may see a FU with 3 hairs sticking out of it, but in reality it may just be a 2 hair FU with a neighbor FU exiting through the same hole.

In other cases it may appear that there is just one hair coming out of a target graft, but afer extraction you find there are really TWO hairs there with one in Anagen(growing phase) and one in Catogen (sleeping phase). Would YOU want this implanted in YOUR hairline? I'll bet NOT!

All FUE grafts should be extracted and the refined under the microscope. ALL FUE GRAFTS!!!

When I perform FUE I find that I usually get about a 50-50 split in single to double (or triple/Quadruple) ratio. That usually leaves me more than enough singles to complete a hairline. So if I go for 1000 grafts, about 500 will be singles which is good enough for just about an average sized head.

We DO NOT split grafts to create singles. You simply don't have to in MOST cases. (The exceptions are patients whose heritage includes nordic countries whose hairs are so close together that you almost always get multi haired grafts out of every extraction.)

If you get an FUE done request to have the grafts photograft prior to implantation so that you can see the percentage of doubles to singles AND the quality of the refinement. A refined FUE should be indistinguishable from a refined strip graft. First and foremost there should NOT be a rounded epidermis as this is formed when the punch removed the graft.This should have been removed under the microscope during the refinement stage. I will post photos of a recent patient who had unrefined and amateurish FUE so you would know what to look for and AVOID.

Dr. Feller

Interesting. I recall on a few threads small FUE sessions being proposed as a way to soften previously transplanted hairlines that are too flat, or hairlines that are made up of single hairs of thicker caliber. But if it's difficult to "single" out single follicles, let alone the softest single follicles, then I guess it's not the answer. What I mean is (or what my question is), a Lunchtime FUE session, for example, might not be appropriate for hairline refinement?

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website