Propecia & Body Hair

I have been on propecia since April '2004. I am losing most of my upper torso hair. I've read that while DHT inhibits hair growth on top of the head, that body hair required DHT to grow. My HT doc said that same thing however, noted that Merck said their studies did not show this to be true. Anyone else of Propecia noticed this? Any Advice?

THANKS everyone !!!!

I have been on propecia since April '2004. I am losing most of my upper torso hair. I've read that while DHT inhibits hair growth on top of the head, that body hair required DHT to grow. My HT doc said that same thing however, noted that Merck said their studies did not show this to be true. Anyone else of Propecia noticed this? Any Advice?

THANKS everyone !!!!

Well, the science is there that says that while DHT can weaken scalp hair it can make body hair grow thicker so it's a reasonable deduction that inhibiting DHT will cause body hair to thin out.

I am on Avodart and even though I'm not a hairy guy to begin with I have noticed a decrease in chest hair. Nothing crazy, mind you, but whereas I had around 40 chest hairs before I may have around 35 now icon_biggrin.gif.

Everyone is different so I would say that its certainly a possibility.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks for the comments RS. I used to be quite furry and have lost quite a bit :-( Can't seem to win for losing. My partner is not happy with the loss of body hair :-(

That sucks that your partner isn't happy about it, Greggo. Some people just like them hairy chests, I guess. Kind of funny how guys these days go through the pain and expense of waxing and shaving thier chests when you are perfectly happy with yours and Propecia went and messed it all up.

Seems that we can't win for losing sometimes in this crazy "hair game"! icon_rolleyes.gif If it makes you feel any better, I am fairly confident that the effects are relatively minute so it should "level off" here shortly if it hasn't already.

GuitarPlayer brought up BHT. While I am "rooting" for it to become a viable option for other guys, sadly it doesn't look good for me. icon_frown.gif haha. icon_biggrin.gif

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I'll be starting on finasteride as soon as I receive my order. Hadn't heard about the effects on body hair but my wife will love it.........she's not into the hairy chest thing! icon_biggrin.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.