Few questions

Hi folks!

I've been thinking about this more & more and I think I'll end up getting a HT this fall. I do have a question though...

I've been shaving my head for something like 2 years now and, truth be told, I kinda like the look. Girls don't seem to mind either, amazingly enough - I thought it was going to be the start of celibacy for me and ended up being wrong.

Should I get the HT, would I be ok to continue shaving my head for the 8-10 months post-op, until the new hair is ready to grow? Or would it affect the transplant in a negative way?

I decided on Dr. Feller, by the way - since he's close to me and seems to have a good reputation. Is anyone familiar with him? Is he a good choice?

Appreciate the replies!

YoungGuy,

Seriously if you can pull off the shaved look you are going to regret having a HT. After a HT you will not be able to shave down again without the scar being visible.

I believe if you are lucky enought to pull it off, a slick scalp looks better than a thinning scalp. Do not do the HT unless your sure that you do not want to shave down again.

If I were you I would get on the meds and stay on them for a while. I would also grow out your hair again to make sure you prefer hair over a shaved look. Do not go for a HT unless you are sure.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I forgot about the scar... Ugh, and now that I've finally came close to deciding to get one too !!

To be honest, it's like this... While I don't mind the shaved look, I've always thought of it as being kind of forced on me. Luckily, it's worked out - though, honestly, to pull it off one has to be a large guy and it's sort of forced me to hit the gym. I've gained about 15lbs of muscle in the past 2 years, so there's a good side effect, but there's another 15 to go I think.

Is getting a HT bad when one thinks of it as a luxury rather than a necessity? I'm thinking of my situation as I would of driving a Camry. It's a nice car that works for me and that I like - but it would be nicer to drive a Lexus, wouldn't it?

Bottom line, if I don't need one, but would prefer to have hair - would you say that it generally is worth it? How close to the good old days can you get, honestly?

Thanks for the replies, folks. If nothing else, I'll probably wait another year until I've hit 170lbs and see how it goes.

(As a way of explanation, I'm one of those unfortunates who can not gain weight/fat no matter how hard they try. I've been gorging on junk food & steaks since high school and was stuck at 145lbs forever, only way I managed to hit 160 was by putting on muscle through religious workout & eating a ton of protein.)

YoungGuy,

You're looking pretty confident with your shaved head. Unfortunately it is too shaved to be able to tell what NW level you are.

The results you will ultimely get boils down to density. Density is a function of donor grafts and coverage. So if you have little coverage and a good donor than you will get a good result.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006