9 days post-op...scary time???

Well, 9 days post-op and most of my scabs are gone...including a lot of the hair follicles with them. The good thing is I didn't notice any of the hairs with the roots attached so I guess that is considered a good thing. Scalp is still a little pinkish/red, and strip scar is healing well. Sutures come out in 2 days and then the waiting begins.

Please, anyone that has been at this stage, tell me that when the scabs come off, it is normal that the hair follicle sheds with it...it will help me feel better to know that I am progressing as normal. Approximately how long does it take for you to start to see some noticeable growth again from the transplanted hairs??

Thanks in advance.

3100 strip HT, Dr. Jones

1.25mg Proscar, 2% Minoxidil 2x's day

Is it 6 months yet??

Well, 9 days post-op and most of my scabs are gone...including a lot of the hair follicles with them. The good thing is I didn't notice any of the hairs with the roots attached so I guess that is considered a good thing. Scalp is still a little pinkish/red, and strip scar is healing well. Sutures come out in 2 days and then the waiting begins.

Please, anyone that has been at this stage, tell me that when the scabs come off, it is normal that the hair follicle sheds with it...it will help me feel better to know that I am progressing as normal. Approximately how long does it take for you to start to see some noticeable growth again from the transplanted hairs??

Thanks in advance.

3100 strip HT, Dr. Jones

1.25mg Proscar, 2% Minoxidil 2x's day

Is it 6 months yet??

Havhair...

hopefully, its not the follicle youre seeing..but merely some skin shed, which is normal after HT surgery...if you dont see what looks like a small rice kernel with a hair sticking out of the end, then youre probably doing just fine...

Patience..the first two months basically suck...but then, the magic begins..its quite cool actually!

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Havhairnow,

Technically, the follicle is the whole unit they transplanted including the growth center and glands. You are probabably seeing just the hairs come out with the scabs. You can tell the difference because a hair only has a very small light bulb (only slightly thicker than the hair diameter) at its base. This looks the same as a healthy hair that shed because its host follicular unit has gone into the resting phase -- only buried in a scab. It should not have a small rice kernel size base apart from the scab (like Rugger pointed out). I hope this helps put you at ease. Keep up the aftercare and guarded healing...

GratefulHead

I had a similar experience, the white scabs are sometimes big and you might think they are follicles, but it is just the skin tissue falling off. In my case they were completely gone after day 10.