Searching for my hair.

bdkiii

Well it took alot of pride swallowing but I am taking my first step in finding my hair. I have reached my mid 30's and well.. my hair isnt like it use to be.

I am unsure what procedures are available or what would even be the best avenue for me to go but I figured I would start here and ask for some advice.

I have a widows peak that well.. is peaking pretty bad. I am starting to notice that each day it seems more and more hair is missing... I dont like this new trend.

I havent tried any of the hair shampoos and not sure if thats the answer or am I heading for surgery?!

Anyfeedback would be great!

Bdkii,

Welcome to the forums. You will find a wealth of information on all aspects of hair loss, its causes, and its remedies here. Digging through the plethora of posts can be a little overwhelming at first, however, so here are some tips to ease you in:

1) RegrowHair.com has a vast amount of information to get you started. There, you can find information on hair loss and what causes it, myths, gender, age, and race factors , and treatments.

2) Once you have explored the site and have a good idea of what options are out there, don't be afraid to ask questions. This is imperative for a couple of reasons: it can get you a number of responses from different individuals with different results and it can possibly help out someone else that wants the answer to the same question but never thought to ask. Your questions can bring answers for everyone to learn from.

3) Do a lot of research. This is truly a "buyer beware" industry. That is what these forums were set up for: to minimize unfortunate outcomes and maximize positive ones through sharing experiences and knowledge. Beerman had some great advice: "don't make any rushed decisions." Your hair loss took years to progress where it is now. It will take time to combat it to get to a point in which you are happy with it again.

Most of all, good luck. If you have any questions on how to utilize any of the functions on the site, feel free to "private message" me. This reaches me by email.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Im finding so much information on this and really appreciate everyones willingness to help me on my quest...

I am including a few pics of my current situation I like to call my expanding forehead!

I was reading on one of the sites I visited yesterday regarding a procedure called FUM. It sounded too good to be true so I wondered if anyone had any relevant info regarding that procedure. I really liked the fact that the donar area doesnt require incisions so they they...

hair2.jpg

hair3.jpg

hair5.jpg

Yeah - money is no object and I would certainly like to have no scarring or little to no scarring.

Has anyone out there gone through this type of procedure that can add input here or maybe some pictures?

WOW.. thanks again Roebrt - that really opened my eyes to what I should expect. I really think that is the way I want to go...

I am checking out some local docs and will be doing a few consultations over the next few weeks.

In the meantime I will continue to learn as much as I can from these forums so I know exactly what I should expect and what is realistic for my goals...

searching on the net I found a few docs near where I live. One in particular caught my eye as seeing his before and after photos I was really excited to think I too might have simular results.

Has anyone herad of Dr Esptein in Miami? If so can you please post any good or bad information you may have...

thanks!!!

Thanks Green... I did alot of research today on starting with topical treatments...

I am unsure which one to use but I do like the fact that alot of people who have used them have stated they stopped the hairloss.

Perhaps I will get lucky and thats all i will need to use... but I am prepared to do whatever is necessary and at whatever cost.

I will probably go on a few consultations to see what the experts suggest and recommend.

I am currently narrowing down my list of qualified doctors...

bdkii,

Which topical treatments are you referring to? I ask because there are a lot of them available that are clouded by hype and are basically worthless.

Since you are so diligently "diving in" to your research, I would like to point out a couple of links that may interest you:

Here is a good place to start looking at topicals.

Here are some articles written by some of the industry's top physicians.

And here are some more helpful links with some great information.

Finally, here is a truly informative book that cuts through the hype of hair loss and hair loss treatments and takes a sober, objective approach to the hair replacement industry.

Good luck!

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Sorry Robert - I suppose it would have been helpful to have posted that originally...

I have looked at the following but so far I see no way of cutting through the hype of which one truly works and is the right solution for me.

Topical products Im choosing from:

- Revivogen Anti-DHT

- Rogaine Extra Strength for Men

- Fabao 101

- Tricomin

- Folligen Cream

- Shen Min

Medical Solutions Im considering:

- Minoxidil

- Botanical HairGenesis

- Propecia

so many choices.. how does one know which is the right combination to use????

bdkii,

Sounds like you have been looking around quite a lot.

My comments:

1) Be aware that some of these treatments may have impacts on other areas of your schedule and, more importantly, your body. Minoxidil and Finasteride (the active ingredient in Propecia) are medications not to be taken lightly (not that you would, I am just putting it out there). I just want to make sure that you also know that there are many, many users of both of these medications (myself included) that have had 1) side effects and 2) a rather suprising amount of shedding when the regimen was discontinued. My personal side effects from Finasteride (slight lack of libido) went away after only a couple of months. After that, it was back to business as usual. The only side effect I had from Minoxidil was some acne from months 1 through 4.5. This has also dissipated. When I first started taking them both back in 2000, I stopped after a year. Let me tell you, all hell broke loose. My hair shed like crazy and then stabilized to what I had in the months prior to my hair transplant. Just understand that you are "tied" to these medications for as long as you want your existing hair and any hair that they may help grow.

2) I noticed that you have Minoxidil and then Rogaine listed. Minoxidil is Rogaine just like Finasteride is Propecia and Proscar. Finasteride and Minoxidil are the actual names of the medications while Rogaine and Proscar/Propecia are the brand names.

3) Nizoral 2% has helped me tremendously, I believe. I use it every other day, though I have read that this may be too aggressive. A medical doctor advised me that using it once a day will not hurt so I go by his advise before I go by a posters advise.

4) I am considering using the Revivogen due to the research and results that I hear coming from the copper peptides that it contains. I am not really expecting much, but if there is something else to be done and it doesn't hurt, why not? I would like to hear anyone else's comments on Revivogen.

5) I cannot personally vouch for anything else that you have listed. I have looked into each for my personal use and did not include each for 1 reason: not enough verifiable results for my comfort level. I also believe that constantly adding/ dropping items from your regimen without giving adequate time for anything to work cannot be beneficial.

6) My own personal regimen includes:

- 5% Minoxidil twice daily

- Nizoral 2% every other day (currently using Nioxin conditioner only because I had a huge bottle of it left and it makes the hair look good and slightly thicker)

- 1/2 Proscar tablet every other day.

- 3000 mg MSM (to expedite growth; figured it could not hurt and it doesn't)

- Mega Men multi vitamin (not for hair, per se. I think every adult should take a good multi daily).

I hope this post will help to clear some confusion that you may have. Remember, these are all my opinions and views. If you try something that I haven't that works for you, great.

-Robert

Robert - thanks again for your dedication here to help a new face out!

It would be nice to hear from others as to what regiment they are doing and what levels of success they are obtaining.

As for your comment about Rogaine and Minoxidil... I did know that they were the same thing -however- I was under the impression that they have a topical shampoo as well as an oral medication...

If I was wrong I will chalk it up to my inexperience in this field... Thanks for your help and guidance thus far!

Hey Robert - I made a few choices and one of them was a consultation with Dr Epstein here in Miami. Everything I read about him has been overwhelmingly positive and I have decided to take the plunge.

I will keep you all posted on what he has to say and what advice he gives me...

Thanks as always for your input!

bdkiii,

Good choice with Dr. Epstein in Miami and I am sure you will be enlightened. icon_cool.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY