going into HT surgery without being on any medication

Hey guys,

I am planning on going into HT surgery with SMG in the next few weeks. I am currently not on any finasteride or minoxidil regimen (have never been).

If SMG recommends, I will get on it post-op but I after reading through some posts here I am wondering if I should have already started a regimen a year ago. What are the risks of going into surgery without being on finasteride?

My hair loss is getting really bad and I would not like to wait 1 more year.

Thanks,

Roy.

Roy,

The main problems I see with having a transplant without first giving the meds a shot are: If you don't try to stabilise/slow your hair loss prior to the procedure, there is no way of telling what (if any) benefits they will have. If you continue to lose hair at the same rate, how will the transplant look a year or two down the road? There is always the chance that the meds will regrow some hair... if this happened you could be wasting grafts on areas that don't need them. You also run the risk of damaging follicles that the meds could have kick started of strengthened.

Maxxy,

You bring up some very good points. I really wish I'd started Finasteride and Rogaine much earlier. I did try Rogaine several months before my HT but I found that I had very little motivation to maintain the regimen because I knew that it wouldn't impact my baldest areas. I was afraid of Propecia's side-effects and chose to avoid that as well.

After my HT I decided that I needed to use every weapon in the arsenal in order to best maintain what I had. I believe it is working out well for me. My crown was not mapped and I have few detailed pictures of it before I started meds but I seem to have had some decent growth.

Roy,

I was in the same position when I had my HT. I decided not to wait. Dr. Alexander is very conservative by nature and we planned to leave plenty of grafts available to deal with future loss. Have you discussed these concerns with your doc? With a good plan I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead with your HT.

Best of luck to you!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

If you have no side effects from finasteride I'd say go for it. I had to stop using it because it apparently lowered my DHT (which is responsible for sexual well being) to the point where I was beginning to have sexual dysfunction. After stopping the medication I returned to normal. I guess it effects everyone differently. It took three months to affect me. I suppose that is how long it took to lower my DHT levels enough to be a problem. My Endocrinologist says DHT tests are very unreliable and inaccurate when I asked if I could get it checked. This is also an expensive medication for life.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

This is also an expensive medication for life.

Personally I don't feel that Finasteride is an expensive drug, at least it doesn't have to be.

At today's prices you can take 1mg of Finasteride for $6 per month. At that price over 30 years it would cost you $2,160. I'm not suggesting the drug will continue to work over the 30 years but I feel it's very cost effective.

Expensive is relative. I pay around $1.50 a month for mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

That's great. Very few people receive it for that price though. Like I said I'd recommend going for it if there are no side effects or if you don't mind losing erections and libido if there are side effects. For me that was unacceptable. A new study shows this drug may have some prostate protective benefits but also showed me who took it had an increased incidence of heart diseases compared to the control group. It is a personal decision based on risks and benefits.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts