That lying mirror. Take anything you see in a mirror with some perspective.

I had a normal fellow in yesterday with alot of hair. He said that he had caught glimpses of himself in a few mirrors and was sure he was nearing baldness. He is already on meds, and I told him to quit looking in mirrors so much and come back in a year...or come in periodically and I'd take pics and show him he had lots of hair.

It reminded me of 2 personal things related to mirrors and how they can reflect less than accurate...or very accurate images. I shared these with him too.

First, back in 99 prior to me leaving Univ of VA where I was an attending and starting my practice in northern VA, I shaved my head down to a 1/8inch cut which is how I'd wear my hair all the time if my wife let me. As it grew in a good bit, I was in the hospital and saw one of those roundish reflecting mirrors that the nurses have mounted at the nursing station to look around corners. I saw another doc with a large bald spot and turned to see who it was...it was me! Now for those of you who have seen my pic or me in person, I don't have a bald spot yet. I will get one as my family is full of class 6 and 7 and I have slow progression of a large "thin area" that responded to propecia a few years ago but I have stopped that. In any case, that bald spot was a thin area, with adequate hair coverage, but do to the lighting and mirror, it looked HUGE. I had my wife take some pics and that confirmed thinning but not a bald spot. So in that case the mirror was completely inaccurate. I suspect alot of guys may have had similar experiences.

The second involved my dad, who was really class 6 but did a "Trump" styled combover and he had wire brush consistency snow white hair. He was a funeral director and always wore a suit, even to our farm--like on green acres. One day dad and I were going into People's drug store in Harrisonburg for a milk shake. I was in college and dad was 60 some and as we walked in, my dad turned around quickly. He said he wanted to know who the "smartly dressed gentleman with all the gray hair blowing in the wind" was. It was my dad and he never had come to terms that he had a lot of gray hair and that he really was balding. In that instance, the mirror was right on.

So, don't pay excessive attention to glimpses in the mirror. We are always super critical of our own image and its easy to beat one's self up over a reflection. Don't do it.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I had a normal fellow in yesterday with alot of hair. He said that he had caught glimpses of himself in a few mirrors and was sure he was nearing baldness. He is already on meds, and I told him to quit looking in mirrors so much and come back in a year...or come in periodically and I'd take pics and show him he had lots of hair.

It reminded me of 2 personal things related to mirrors and how they can reflect less than accurate...or very accurate images. I shared these with him too.

First, back in 99 prior to me leaving Univ of VA where I was an attending and starting my practice in northern VA, I shaved my head down to a 1/8inch cut which is how I'd wear my hair all the time if my wife let me. As it grew in a good bit, I was in the hospital and saw one of those roundish reflecting mirrors that the nurses have mounted at the nursing station to look around corners. I saw another doc with a large bald spot and turned to see who it was...it was me! Now for those of you who have seen my pic or me in person, I don't have a bald spot yet. I will get one as my family is full of class 6 and 7 and I have slow progression of a large "thin area" that responded to propecia a few years ago but I have stopped that. In any case, that bald spot was a thin area, with adequate hair coverage, but do to the lighting and mirror, it looked HUGE. I had my wife take some pics and that confirmed thinning but not a bald spot. So in that case the mirror was completely inaccurate. I suspect alot of guys may have had similar experiences.

The second involved my dad, who was really class 6 but did a "Trump" styled combover and he had wire brush consistency snow white hair. He was a funeral director and always wore a suit, even to our farm--like on green acres. One day dad and I were going into People's drug store in Harrisonburg for a milk shake. I was in college and dad was 60 some and as we walked in, my dad turned around quickly. He said he wanted to know who the "smartly dressed gentleman with all the gray hair blowing in the wind" was. It was my dad and he never had come to terms that he had a lot of gray hair and that he really was balding. In that instance, the mirror was right on.

So, don't pay excessive attention to glimpses in the mirror. We are always super critical of our own image and its easy to beat one's self up over a reflection. Don't do it.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr Lindsey,

Your humorous and insightful post is right on. Mirrors (like photos) can give us a variety of different versions of the truth, depending on size, shape, height, angle, lighting conditions, and so on.

I often have a "good hair day" in the bathroom at home, only to be discouraged by the rear view mirror in the car.

It may sound silly, but I try to do my hair after my shower, then not look at it the rest of the day.

Originally posted by dr. lindsey:

I have slow progression of a large "thin area" that responded to propecia a few years ago but I have stopped that.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Dr. Lindsey,

Do you mind if I ask why you stopped taking the propecia despite its efficacy?

I ask mainly because I tried propecia last year, and (despite a nice response) eventually decided to discontinue due to side effects: specifically, it led to a high level of chronic irritability (my wife and daughter said the change was striking and immediate). A little research also turned up a few articles suggesting that 5-alpha reductase blockade may disrupt some CNS-specific androgen pathways - which I suppose could lead to neurocognitive changes (admittedly speculative).

In any case, I'd be curious to hear why you quit, and whether or not you recommend propecia to your own patients. I have toyed with the idea of trying it again at a low dose of 1/4 mg/day (I've previously tried it at 1 mg, then reduced to 1/2mg - to no avail).

Best wishes,

Sparse

P.S. Although the question is addressed to Dr. Lindsey, other responses are welcome.