I need help: itchy scalp and hair loss

Chancy

Hi There,

I'm 28 year old male with male-pattern-bald. I checked out all my family and the worst case is class 3 of my uncle. I started to lose hair 3 years ago at the two sides of front hairline. I used propecia and minoxdil (5%) and slowed down the hair loss. Then I might have made a mistake to have a procedure of 1200 grafts at Bosley (Boston) 1 year ago. I'm not happy about it. In the procedure I had 700 grafts in the middle of hairline (spur area) and 300 on two sides. The doctor convinced me to do it this way although I had hairs in the middle spur area. Now there're hairs grown in the HT area but I am still suffering from hair loss. Now I have further questions about my hair loss and/or Bosley.

1) My whole top scalp is red and itchy badly. And the headline is still proceeding. I occasionally drop hairs with pimple at hairline and/or top area. The hairs I drop now are strong hairs with yellow pimple at one end. Before the surgery, I only dropped those newly grown hair with thin end. The red/itchy area is on the top. I'm not sure whether it's still caused by DHT, or caused by the surgery. Is it possibly caused by anesthetic?

2) My uncle is only class 3 (should be a little better than class 3 exactly) and he's the worst in my family. Is it possible that I developed class 5 or 7?

3) I can tell that the surgery destroyed my existing hairs in the front, and now they're replaced with fewer HT hairs. Is this possibly true? Is there case that surgery destroy existing hairs? (particularly Bosley)

4) I have to keep using propecia otherwise I'll lose more hairs.

I've seen some dermatologists here, but they didn't give any suggestions about hair transplant ;(

I might have more questions, let me start with these. Cross fingers and wish someone helps me out here. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll try the oil. I'm also curious that will the oil stop the hair loss?

Originally posted by PLEASE GROW PLEASE:

Try some aloe or Jojoba oil for the itchy scalp .

Bosley probably destroyed those hairs .

Most good surgeons make sure they carefully go in between those hairs , not Bosley

Another reason is they were weak and were bound to go anyway.

Probably a combo of both

Chancy

From your description of having a red, itchy scalp, with hair shedding I would suggest you see a dermatologist. There are other causes of hair loss and/or hair shedding besides Male Pattern Baldness. You may have a simple dermatitis like seborrheic dermatitis, or may have an allergy to some hair product you are using. If you have actual pustules on your scalp you may have a low grade staph. infection. And there are other rare skin conditions that can cause skin redness and hair to shed. Without a diagnosis it is difficult to know if your condition is related to the Hair Transplant at Bosley or not. Regardless, you should have this your scalp looked at by a dermatologist.

I would continue using the propecia. If your hair loss is from Male Pattern Baldness both propecia and rogaine can help, but the studies show that these medications sometimes do not help in the front half of the scalp but sometimes they do. So it is worth staying on the medication unless you are experiencing side effects.

Dr. Paul Shapiro

Thanks a lot Paul. I'll go to see a dermatologist ASAP. I wish it's not male pattern baldness. Before doing that, can I ask which doctor you'd suggest if I wanna do another HT procedure in the near future? My front hairline wasn't fixed in my first procedure. I kinda wasted the money, cause they put most of the grafts in the middle area where it wasn't bald. I'm new on this forum. BTW, a doctor close to Pittsburgh would be great. icon_smile.gif

Thanks,

Chancy

Originally posted by Paul Shapiro, MD:

Chancy

From your description of having a red, itchy scalp, with hair shedding I would suggest you see a dermatologist. There are other causes of hair loss and/or hair shedding besides Male Pattern Baldness. You may have a simple dermatitis like seborrheic dermatitis, or may have an allergy to some hair product you are using. If you have actual pustules on your scalp you may have a low grade staph. infection. And there are other rare skin conditions that can cause skin redness and hair to shed. Without a diagnosis it is difficult to know if your condition is related to the Hair Transplant at Bosley or not. Regardless, you should have this your scalp looked at by a dermatologist.

I would continue using the propecia. If your hair loss is from Male Pattern Baldness both propecia and rogaine can help, but the studies show that these medications sometimes do not help in the front half of the scalp but sometimes they do. So it is worth staying on the medication unless you are experiencing side effects.

Dr. Paul Shapiro