Curious about Toppik

Hey everyone. This is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this right. I'm in my early 20s and I've been thinning for about two years. I'm on Propecia and Rogaine and I'm thinking about trying Toppik, but I have a few questions. First, does it only work for short hair? Also, I've heard that you have to be careful about sweating. I play basketball and exercise a lot so this could be a big factor. I'd like to be able to work out without worrying about my hair for a change. Finally, some people say they think it accelerates hair loss. That's something I definitely don't want. Any tips or suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

~Jeff

Hey everyone. This is my first post so hopefully I'm doing this right. I'm in my early 20s and I've been thinning for about two years. I'm on Propecia and Rogaine and I'm thinking about trying Toppik, but I have a few questions. First, does it only work for short hair? Also, I've heard that you have to be careful about sweating. I play basketball and exercise a lot so this could be a big factor. I'd like to be able to work out without worrying about my hair for a change. Finally, some people say they think it accelerates hair loss. That's something I definitely don't want. Any tips or suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

~Jeff

Jeffro5422,

Welcome to the board! That is great you are on Propecia and Rogaine and are interested in trying Toppik during your early 20's! You are on the right track Bro!

I've been using Toppik ever since my hair transplant about 6.5 months ago. Toppik definitely works with long hair... even better than with short in fact. I know there are some who caution about using Toppik while working up a heavy sweat... I was concerned about it myself initially. I haven't found that to be a real issue though. I played spring/summer and fall softball and summer volleyball every week and I never once noticed it run down my skin. I've also worked-out, rode mountain bikes, and rock climbed and it has never been detected. The biggest prob I see is that if you get caught in the rain, it can get displaced by the rain drops on your scalp and result in patchy coverage. However, if you have at least decent thin hair density (like me), even then it won't be so easy to notice. The Toppik sales brochure states "It stays on through rain, wind and perspiration, and it can't possibly run, smear or stain." From my experience I would agree with that statement for the most part. All of your hair growth takes place in the hair follicles under the skin. Placing a dry non-chemical fiber above the skin and on the hair is not going to adversely affect hair growth. One of the most critical factors during initial use is matching the right color. I would have considered my hair medium brown, but a hair salon that sold me my first container of Toppik correctly matched me up to dark brown. I almost direct-ordered the wrong medium brown, but I had a wedding eight days after my hair transplant and I had to seek out a faster way to obtain some (i.e., the local hair salon). Check out the web site http://www.regrow.com/toppik.asp and call their number to possibly find a local hair salon that could match you up with the right color and maybe buy your first container from. I bought a "regular" size from the salon which I thereafter refilled with the more economical "giant" size. You just have to make sure that your shaker-tops fit snug after breaking the seal to refill so they won't fall off and spill during application! Their directions for application are pretty good -- the only thing I would add is to (1) not apply too heavily in the hairline; (2) check your forehead and clothing for off-target fibers and wipe them away with dry fingers; (3) stand away from any sink or countertop while applying so you don't need to dust off excess fall-out; and (4) use a second mirror to check midscalp and vertex/crown area coverage for a while until you get a good feel for how much product to apply. I really like Toppik and I don't know of any faster, easier, or more natural looking way to incredibly camoflague thinning hair. Post an update to let us know your experiences after trying Toppik. Best wishes for a successful hair improvement journey and a blessed Christmas.

GratefulHead

[This message was edited by GratefulHead on December 23, 2003 at 06:11 PM.]