Is graftcyte the only Post op healing Aid?

Combatinghairloss,

We offer the Graftcyte to our patients, but it is probably overpriced ($155). Many people think that the simple act of frequently spraying a moist vehicle to the scabs is the key to speeding up the healing and falling off of the scabs. If so, there is a Biotin spray, which only goes for $15-20, which we keep around at times, which is obviously a lot cheaper.

Also, and possibly even better, is the constant application of some oily or ointment vehicle. It could be Vitamin E oil, Bacitracin Ointment, or even plain Vaseline from a clean new jar. The downside is that it is the messiest way to go, especially on the pillow at night, but I think it is the fastest way to get scabs off. With this regimen, the patient applies a thin layer of any of these greasy compounds to the transplanted area. It is usually nice each AM to wash off the stuff applied the previous day. If an ointment was used, the best way is to use baby oil to first liquify the ointment, and then use Dawn detergent or a similar grease-cutting soap. Then you could finish with your favorite shampoo and conditioner. When you have toweled off, blotting the area and not rubbing it, you then apply that day's first thin application of the oil or ointment of your choice. The only problem with starting right off with this stuff applied immediately after surgery is that it sometimes inhibits the coagulation at the graft site and the grafts remain "slippery" and can even slide out, so sometimes a few hours wait is in order before beginning the regimen.

I should finish by saying that I have seen a few "miracles" with the Graftcyte, where people came back 6-8 days later and it was almost hard to tell they had surgery. Whether it was the copper peptide or they just responded well to the moist environment created by the packs and the spray I don't know.

Mike Beehner, M.D.

• 7 months later...