Can I deduce growth potential from microscopic picture of scalp hair?

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I had a hair transplant 13 months ago, and a follow-up procedure two weeks ago.

In terms of meds, I have been on oral fin 1mg daily and topical min for 2 years. Added oral duta 0.5mg (2x per week alternating with fin) about 5 months ago and oral minox 2.5mg daily about 3 weeks ago.

Being curious, I bought a microscopic camera to look at my scalp in more detail. As per the pic, I am noticing a lot of shorter hairs that appear not too wispy.

I am hoping they might be late blooming new hairs from first HT or due to new medication I am taking recently (oral dut and minox), or some possibly from the recent HT. That these will grow out into longer healthy hair, as I could really do with some thickening up of my scalp, especially as my remaining donor hair is apparently now very limited.

But they might just be weak hairs that only grow a short length (nothing further) or even be hairs that are miniaturising (balding). Which would be unfortunate.

Can I draw any conclusions based on microscopic images such as these? Maybe not.

Thanks.

Screenshot 2024-04-07 at 18.43.17.png

Edited by londonbased
Better pictures

• londonbased changed the title to Can I deduce growth potential from microscopic picture of scalp hair?
Posted (edited)

They are from same area of my scalp (just behind left hairline) at the same point of time (yesterday).

Maybe that answers my question, I should look at the same section over a few months and note any changes. That would make sense. 

Edited by londonbased

Imo they are terminals and they will grow. Vellus hair are frizzly and not straight like yours

Minoxidil : 5% topical 1ml/day
Follicular androgen receptor inhibitor : {Fluridil + CosmeRNA}
Exosome Mesotherapy 1mm (See here for explanations & results) :
ASCE+ HRLV

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, recently I tried to grow one of my patients who have vellus, tiny or miniaturized hair. His hair transplant was not possible due to inadequate donor area so i proposed him Micro Needling with high concentration of Redensyl. Just 24 days later, he visited me and I compared his before & after photos, one can see progress in 24 days. No oral medicine (Min or fin) & No PRP.
I am sure your tiny hair visible under a microscopic camera will become visible in a few weeks. I am sharing before & 24 days later images 

DSC_0389.JPG

16 March 2024 Before Micro needling with Redensyl Serum 

DSC_0037.JPG

09 April 2024 just 24 days later one can see progress and vellus hair started increase in diameter and length. 

Edited by AhmadChaudhry
Dates mentioned

Dr. Ahmad Chaudhry

Cosmo Derma clinic 

Lahore Pakistan