Help Me Decide Which Surgeon (Pictures Included): Dr. Laorwang, Dr. Nader, or Dr. Pukpinya (Dr. Patty)

Hello -

Last July, I did a hair transplant (1950 graft FUT) with Dr. Lee in Atlanta, Georgia. While my previous procedure did improve my hairline, I spent a lot of money and did not get the density that I desire. I'm looking to utilize one of the popular, well respected doctors listed on these forums for a follow-up surgery. I consulted with many of the doctors and I have narrowed down my list. There are broad differences in the number of recommended grafts. 

I'm very conflicted, so I am hoping you guys can give me your thoughts on who you would pick.

Dr. Laorwang - Thailand: 

Recommends 3,500 grafts from hairline to top part and follow-up for 1,500 to 2,000 grafts for the crown.

Travel - Approximately 24 hours including layover. Flight approx. $1300

Pricing - $7,750 w/o crown work (using graft estimate above)

Next Availability - July - August 2024

Dr. Nader - Mexico:

Recommends 1.5k - 2k grafts for frontal area / hairline and a follow-up surgery for crown. Suggested he would be willing to do some crown work if desired during the session.

Travel - 5 hours flight incl. layover. Flight approx. $300

Pricing - $6250 - $7500 w/o crown work (using graft estimate above)

Next availability in February 2025 (with potential for openings due to cancellation) - I would need to wait until mid-July of this year anyways, due to my last transplant being in July 2023

Dr. Patty - Thailand:

Recommends 2500-3000 grafts for frontal area (indicated that if they can do more in one go to cover a bigger area they will do so)

Travel - Approximately 24 hours including layover. Flight approx. $1300

Pricing - $2,750 - $3,250 w/o crown work (using graft estimate above)

Next availability - Could get it done July 2024 (suggestion is to book two months out)

Thanks for any input / guidance!

Photos sent to each surgeon.

Edited by dawgswin

• dawgswin changed the title to Help Me Decide Which Surgeon (Pictures Included): Dr. Laorwang, Dr. Nader, or Dr. Pukpinya (Dr. Patty)

These are all good choices. I went to Dr Laorwong and am happy with the results. Dr Patty offers incredible value and some of the result on the forum looked promising also. As you are in the US presumably however it’s a long way to go, and Nader is a solid choice also, although would research cases with higher Norwoods first. Furthermore, as other posters will tell you, location should not be the primary factor for HT choice, so go with your gut as it determines what you will see in the mirror for the foreseeable.

Dr Laorwong is good with higher NW cases, and from personal experience, would be my choice, so perhaps you could come and make a holiday of it too. Good Luck!

10 minutes ago, Hairwolf said:

These are all good choices. I went to Dr Laorwong and am happy with the results. Dr Patty offers incredible value and some of the result on the forum looked promising also. As you are in the US presumably however it’s a long way to go, and Nader is a solid choice also, although would research cases with higher Norwoods first. Furthermore, as other posters will tell you, location should not be the primary factor for HT choice, so go with your gut as it determines what you will see in the mirror for the foreseeable.

Dr Laorwong is good with higher NW cases, and from personal experience, would be my choice, so perhaps you could come and make a holiday of it too. Good Luck!

Thanks for your thoughts, @Hairwolf! I've been telling myself the same thing regarding travel - it would suck to have to go all the way to Thailand, but I really want decent density, to feel comfortable with my surgeon, and to not spend a fortune. I think all of these surgeons are good, so it's really helpful to hear from others why they would lean one way or another. It seems like Dr. Laorwang's approach of doing 3,000 grafts would leave me with a denser result than Dr. Nader's suggestion of doing 1500-2000 grafts.

If I am being totally honest, the price point of Dr. Patty is really appealing and the results I have seen look good, but I get nervous about the idea of my eyes being covered during the procedure. I've noticed that was mentioned in reviews. Dr. Patty's international patient coordinator has been wonderful to talk to and very helpful, but I did think it was pretty cool that Dr. Laorwang and Dr. Nader personally responded to my inquiry.

In the end, I know what will make me happiest in the long run is the outcome - even if the procedure is more than twice as much with Dr. Laorwang or Dr. Nader, so leaving my options fully open and appreciate anyone else's thoughts. Ideally I want to make a decision this week.

Edited by dawgswin

Sure no worries. To add, my eyes were covered too for my surgery but I was so heavily sedated it didn’t bother me. It’s probably a Thai standard thing. You could ask them to lift it I’m sure no problem.

• Valued Contributor

The doctors you shortlisted are all good doctors and you should choose the one whose results you like the most and the one who is in sync with your expectations and goals. I had my surgery with dr laorwong and am happy with my results. You can look at my thread for details and if you have any queries regarding him than feel free to reach out to me.

One more clinic you can consider in this price range is HDC clinic.

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

4 hours ago, A_4_Archan said:

The doctors you shortlisted are all good doctors and you should choose the one whose results you like the most and the one who is in sync with your expectations and goals. I had my surgery with dr laorwong and am happy with my results. You can look at my thread for details and if you have any queries regarding him than feel free to reach out to me.

One more clinic you can consider in this price range is HDC clinic.

Thanks for your help! For some reason I am leaning towards Dr. Patty in July (probably the value presented - especially since I'll probably need another surgery for crown). It's a shame that you can't book more than 2-3 months out with Hairtran, since I would like to schedule, take PTO, book a flight, and book a hotel now. 

If I get antsy in the next few days, I'll probably book with Dr. Laorwang. Even though he costs more, there is something relaxing about the idea of having it already scheduled. Plus, if I made it in December, I might even be able to avoid being in the office for a month - which would be more than enough time to look a little more presentable. I feel like they're both such great doctors, so I really can't go wrong.

Edited by dawgswin

Update: I wanted to correct what I said earlier. After speaking with Dr. Patty’s office, they said I can go ahead and do a video call, pay the deposit, and reserve a date in July. :) It’s my intention to move forward with her. I’m so excited.

Just now, dawgswin said:

Update: I wanted to correct what I said earlier. After speaking with Dr. Patty’s office, they said I can go ahead and do a video call, pay the deposit, and reserve a date in July. :) It’s my intention to move forward with her. I’m so excited.

Good luck, look forward to seeing you're ht 👌