Does the transplanted hair grow thicker after shedding?

Does the transplanted hair grow thicker after the shedding, or the post scabs-removal, before the shedding, will be my actual shaved result?

Edited by Kacan

• Valued Contributor

I don't understand what are you exactly asking but i think you want to ask that whether the hairs will grow thicker than the actual (native) thickness of those transplanted hairs

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

1 minute ago, A_4_Archan said:

I don't understand what are you exactly asking but i think you want to ask that whether the hairs will grow thicker than the actual (native) thickness of those transplanted hairs

Does the transplanted hair grow thicker after the shedding, or the post scabs-removal, before the shedding, will be my actual shaved result?

• Kacan changed the title to Does the transplanted hair grow thicker after shedding?

So, the way your hair looks once the scabs fall off, is the optimal, uber-duper best case scenario you can hope to achieve, if you don't experience any further loss and you have 100% yield from your transplant.

Realistically, even hitting 80% of that, you are going to look good and be quite satisfied. 

The new hair comes in wispy and thin. Then it cycles, sheds and comes back stronger. It may take 2-3 cycles for it to achieve full thickness. Also keep in mind that your natural hairloss will continue progressing (Depending on how you respond to medication) so if you lose more of your native hair, you may need another transplant.

16 minutes ago, StillAlive said:

So, the way your hair looks once the scabs fall off, is the optimal, uber-duper best case scenario you can hope to achieve, if you don't experience any further loss and you have 100% yield from your transplant.

Realistically, even hitting 80% of that, you are going to look good and be quite satisfied. 

The new hair comes in wispy and thin. Then it cycles, sheds and comes back stronger. It may take 2-3 cycles for it to achieve full thickness. Also keep in mind that your natural hairloss will continue progressing (Depending on how you respond to medication) so if you lose more of your native hair, you may need another transplant.

So the thickness after the 3rd cycle is maximum the thickness I see after the scabs removal?

Look, this is a ballpark estimate. Maybe someone will hit max thickness in 2 cycles, maybe someone in 5. 

After scab removal you get the 'perfect preview' because you are looking at thick, terminal hairs everywhere. 

In an ideal scenario, everything grows and thickens up post shed so a year or year and a half post op, you'd look the same if you shaved your head.

Many variables though. If the surgeon took hair from unsafe donor, it will miniaturize and fall. If you got a transplant without medication and you were a low NW, your native hair may miniaturize and fall around the transplant.

There is great individual variance, no uniform answer.

2 minutes ago, StillAlive said:

Look, this is a ballpark estimate. Maybe someone will hit max thickness in 2 cycles, maybe someone in 5. 

After scab removal you get the 'perfect preview' because you are looking at thick, terminal hairs everywhere. 

In an ideal scenario, everything grows and thickens up post shed so a year or year and a half post op, you'd look the same if you shaved your head.

Many variables though. If the surgeon took hair from unsafe donor, it will miniaturize and fall. If you got a transplant without medication and you were a low NW, your native hair may miniaturize and fall around the transplant.

There is great individual variance, no uniform answer.

I see. That’s actually quiet depressing because I just had my scabs removed and you can clearly see the transplanted area isn’t the same density as the original 

From my understanding, hair transplants can't really be as thick as normal native hair.  Its an illusion of density that works pretty well.  Wait for it to grow in and then evaluate.  No need to get concerned yet.  There are tons of great results here so chances are it will look good.  Pictures would also help.