Procedure with miniaturized hair in a hair transplant

Hello HRN members, how are miniaturized hair (10-50% thickness) handled in a transplant?

I am on finasteride for about 3 years and I maintained my hair. Most of my miniaturisied hairs stayed like that 3 years after 1.25mg finasteride a day.

My question is more about what happens to the miniaturized hair in a transplant that remains despite medication.

Are the implanted hairs placed close to the miniaturized hair?

Or are the miniaturized hairs removed during the incision?

Edited by Martador
More information

They are handled with finasteride. If you have miniat. hairs in the recipient area your doctor will recommend medication to preserve those hairs. If not then these hairs will fall out and you will probably need another surgery couple years down the road. Schockloss of the surgery may cause these hairs to fall out sooner or right after the surgery. Thats why its so important to get on medication.

10 minutes ago, jjalay said:

They are handled with finasteride. If you have miniat. hairs in the recipient area your doctor will recommend medication to preserve those hairs. If not then these hairs will fall out and you will probably need another surgery couple years down the road. Schockloss of the surgery may cause these hairs to fall out sooner or right after the surgery. Thats why its so important to get on medication.

I should have added more context.

I am on finasteride for about 3 years and I maintained my hair. A very few miniaturised hair got thicker, but most of them stayed like that 3 years after 1.25mg finasteride a day.

my question is more about what happens to the miniaturized hair in a transplant that remains despite medication.

Edited by Martador

38 minutes ago, Martador said:

I should have added more context.

I am on finasteride for about 3 years and I maintained my hair. A very few miniaturised hair got thicker, but most of them stayed like that 3 years after 1.25mg finasteride a day.

my question is more about what happens to the miniaturized hair in a transplant that remains despite medication.

There is the risk of schock loss if you proceed with a hairtransplant. Also this may accelerate your hairloss when it comes to this miniat. hairs.

• Valued Contributor

Hard to say. Some miniaturised hair might shed due to the competition for blood flow with the newly transplanted grafts. They may grow back (likely will if the hairs are strong enough) or they may not.

Good clinics will not overly pack areas of your scalp that have a lot of native hairs so you'll be fine either way as long as you place yourself in good hands.

• Like 1