Post-Procedure: Intense Itching

Need some help!

Today, I'm Day 7 after a two-day, 5K FUE treatment at a highly-regarded clinic in Canada.  The procedure went very well.  I developed a slight infection on Day 1 post procedure.  They changed my antibiotics and it cleared up right away.  I stayed in Canada until Day 4 to do hair washes at the clinic and ensure all was good. It was.

On Day 6, I sent the clinic photos to check in.  The doctor reviewed them and said it was looking good.  (The clinic is very responsive and good)

However, the night of Day 6 itching grew in intensity.  It was so intense that it kept me up last night.  It modulates between my head feeling like it’s on fire to small bugs boring in and out of my scalp.   It was bad.  It’s was most intense in the donor area.  I’m hoping this is normal as the scabs are just sloughing off and this is what is causing it.  The recipient area is itchy, but I really don’t feel it that much (thank goodness)  But, that may be because the donor area itch is so intense it masks the itchiness in the recipient area.

QUESTIONS:

1.  Is this normal?

2.  How long does it last? 

3.  Any recommendations on relief methods?

Below are Day 6 (on left, more red) and Day 7 (on right, calmer looking)his normal? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

scalp day 6 itch.jpg

scalp day 7 itch.jpg

I would strongly suggest you to speak with your doctor about this, this could be simply because you have sensitive skin but this could also be an allergic reaction.

Thank you for the reply.  Good advice.  The Dr. told me some people are just more sensitive and itch more.  It feels better today...so I hope I just hit the peak of itchiness and I'm on my way down.

• Valued Contributor

Yeh the itching/burning issue is normal but its always good to double check it with your doctor ...he/she can prescribe you with anti histamines like levocetrizine and some antiseptics gels or aloe Vera gel

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Hey I had a HT myself 8 days ago and look/feel about the same. I found that once I was able to start sleeping on my side (instead of upright with neck pillow) it felt a LOT better on my donor area. I think the buzzcut was making things agitated because the hairs would get pushed against the grain so easily. Try not to touch or put any pressure on the back of your head, use saline spray every hr or two.

Edited by nok

Nok:  very helpful.  I'm now at Day 9 and there is some relief. (Day 6 was brutal) 

I'm still sleeping with a neck pillow as I'm worried I would hurt the grafts up until Day 10.  So tomorrow night I will start side sleeping, but I think you're totally right--when the back of the head is buzz cut and donor area, it's a bit too much.