When is too soon for another HT

Wondering:

1) when is it too soon to have another HT if the recipient area is different than the previous HT?

2) when is it too soon to have another HT if the recipient area is the same as the last HT?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, jjalay said:

1)less than 6 months

2)less than 12 months.

I think in both cases 12 months gap would be great. For the first scenario, if you give 12 months gap, by that time your donor would be fully recovered for another procedure.

For the second scenario, if you give 12 months break, you would already get the result by that time. And you can go for another procedure to improve density. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shadman said:

I think in both cases 12 months gap would be great. For the first scenario, if you give 12 months gap, by that time your donor would be fully recovered for another procedure.

For the second scenario, if you give 12 months break, you would already get the result by that time. And you can go for another procedure to improve density. 

I’m going to be in India for work in April so I was thinking of seeing if a small procedure would be possible in my non-transplanted areas. Was hoping to add minimal to the hairline and see if behind it we could use body hair for density. Area isn’t large if you see my post op photos.

1 hour ago, AGL77 said:

I’m going to be in India for work in April so I was thinking of seeing if a small procedure would be possible in my non-transplanted areas. Was hoping to add minimal to the hairline and see if behind it we could use body hair for density. Area isn’t large if you see my post op photos.

I think in that case you should contact them. As it will be a small procedure in your non transplanted area, I think it’ll cause no harm, you can go for it. 

• Thanks 1

Is this really well articulated in the literature? At 6 months the transplanted hair should be present at the recipient site, however, it might only minimally visible to the naked eye, but with loops, or trichoscopy it would be evident. therefore, a surgeon should be able to conduct another hair transplant at that time (regardless if its in the same area as the previous HT or a new area) as they would be able to place new follicles appropriately spaced from recently transplanted hair and native hair in the thinning region. I believe that the reason it is suggested to wait 9-12 months is to evaluate the hair transplant at full maturation, as opposed to the midpoint when results may not be fully appreciated. 

• Thanks 1

Even if the recipient site is in a brand new area, consider that you are still using the same donor, and your donor still may still need time to recover. 

i would say most ht doctors recommend waiting at least 1 yr. 

A few may allow as soon as 6 months after the last operation, but this is incredibly patient/surgery/doctor dependant. 

Even if you go to a doctor who is totally fine operating 6 months after your last procedure, it is basically universally 100% always better to fully wait until the results from your last ht are complete (9-12 month mark)

It just depends on you and the doctors risk tolerance and the specific needs of your patient profile

Edited by HappyMan2021
  • Thanks 1