Finasteride: Increase dosage

MikeN

I'm 39 and I've taken Propecia ever since it became FDA approved (1997 or 1998). It has lost at least some of its effectiveness over the last few years. I'm wondering if it's still doing anything. Am I wasting my money and losing hair in the process? I have considered Avodart. Dr. Wong was hesitant to prescribe it to me because of my age and he said a side effect is a reduced sperm count. I'm thinking about getting Proscar (generic finasteride) and increasing the dosage. Maybe split the 5mg pill into thirds. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also, what is the best way to split the proscar pill to get a consistent dosage? Thanks in advance.

I'm 39 and I've taken Propecia ever since it became FDA approved (1997 or 1998). It has lost at least some of its effectiveness over the last few years. I'm wondering if it's still doing anything. Am I wasting my money and losing hair in the process? I have considered Avodart. Dr. Wong was hesitant to prescribe it to me because of my age and he said a side effect is a reduced sperm count. I'm thinking about getting Proscar (generic finasteride) and increasing the dosage. Maybe split the 5mg pill into thirds. Any thoughts or suggestions? Also, what is the best way to split the proscar pill to get a consistent dosage? Thanks in advance.

After looking at your blog photos, it seems you've gone through an amazing change, and your most recent picture (May 18th, 2009) looks like you still have a strong head of hair.

I'm certainly no expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt; though I'm not sure you should be losing any hair in the front or mid scalp, judging by your pre-op pics, since that's where the transplanted hair is now. It'd be easier if you could explain how it has lost some of its effectiveness. Does your hair appear to be getting thinner? Or have you noticed it just falling out?

Personally if I were you, I would stick with Propecia (or switch to the generic if you so desire) and monitor every little change. If you really notice a difference, take pictures showing exactly where you see changes.

MikeN, i am also considering the same thing. Would be interested to know how many other members on this forum have been taken extra doses per day of propecia and what the side effects have been - if any.