Swelling/ Edema

Hi Everyone.

I just had a 2 day procedure and transplanted 5,000 graft.  I went to a highly regarded clinic in Canada.  It was a very good experience.

The procedure was Monday and Tuesday.  However, today (Weds) I have significant swelling.  My left eye is swollen closed and it's very freaky.  I was sleeping at about a 40% degree.  Not sitting up but definitely on a solid angle to allow for drainage.  So I thought I had avoided the swelling.  Today in the morning it was ok and by noon, my eye was swollen closed

1.  Should I be concerned

2.  How long does this last.

3.  is there anything I can do to move the swelling along--massage, drink a lot of water, etc.

Thanks

ROJO

Keeping drinking those fluids and be mindful of you're sleeping angle, around 45 degrees is optimal. 

However please follow you're particular Dr/Clinic post op instructions and contact them with you're concerns. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the response.   This morning it was ok, by noon my left eye was shut.  I went to the clinic, they said it was normal, but wanted to check with the forum--so truly appreciate you advice.  It's now 4pm and the swelling--while still major--has gone down.    I'M

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RoJo said:

Thanks for the response.   This morning it was ok, by noon my left eye was shut.  I went to the clinic, they said it was normal, but wanted to check with the forum--so truly appreciate you advice.  It's now 4pm and the swelling--while still major--has gone down.    I'M

It will continue to improve. Yes it looks scary and feels very uncomfortable. The extent on the swelling can of course can occasionally give a lot of cause for concern, good to hear you got it checked out and it's already started to go down. 

• Valued Contributor

The swelling is often due to the tumescence injected as well as the trauma from surgery. As @Britanium stated follow your surgeon’s advice. You can rub the forehead in a way to assist the reduction in the reduction of fluid but it will pass. 

• Like 1

Gatsby:  thanks you.  It was/is really scary looking, like something seriously has gone wrong.  My surgeon said to massage the forehead and sides to assist, as you suggested--which I'm doing. 

Any idea on how many days until it goes away.