does hairline need more grafts/cm2?

I wonder about the amount of grafts needed for the hairline since the hairline only accepts single or double hair grafts for a natural look.

Many of us want to fill in a thinning hairline or a too high hairline being brought down but to make a hairline look dense seems to be somewhat of an issue to many.

I recall dr Keene's study about hair density in the hairline which was about 51fus in the hairline. Now as many surgeons will only use single hair grafts in that area that will imply that this person would only have 51 hairs per cm2; how can this ever look dense as I've read that a low hair density exists of 150 hairs per cm2 and the highest density of 300 hairs max. Now 51 hairs is a third of a low density and saying that you need to lose about 50% of your native hair to notice any thinning you still should need at least 75 hairs; so in the end you still end up with a very very low dense hairline if you'd only use 51 single grafts.If you'd use single and double grafts equally you should get 76-77 hairs per cm2 with 51 grafts. Now that's the amount where thinning should become obvious for people with a low hairdensity (150 hairs per cm2: just look up the density on the web) So how come some results really show dense hairlines where those people have really dense hair to begin with so above 200 hairs/cm2. I know the haircharacteristics are really important but even when the still remaining hair(and same characteristics as transplanted hair) has a density of 200 hairs per cm2 and you'd implant a hairline of 51-77 hairs per cm2 you still are

below half of your native hairdensity which would make your hairline still appear thinning and balding which I guess no one wants: we all want a hairtransplant to make us look less bald or thinning.

If only single grafts should be on a bald area you should need 150 single grafts? or 100 equally used single and double grafts? I've never heard about this but I do have seen very dense looking hairlines; do they use 3-4 hair grafts as well? I read alot of stories about people saying they have thin hair and only 150 hairs per cm2 in their hairline ; so I'm just wondering how you can make a hairline dense with only using only single and double grafts? Ofcourse I also know that people who are extremely balding or thinning don't need too many grafts but how about those others and still obtaining a dense hairline while having a high native density?

I think it would be more easy to understand if they were talking about the donor area density measuring 150-300 hairs which is an area which has many double,triple and 4hair grafts.But even then 51 hairs per cm2 in the hairline would look very obvious compared to let's say 200 hairs per cm2 in the back of the head (donor area) or doesn't it?(after all: all those hairs have the same characteristics)

icon_wink.gifI guess it's just me who can't figure it out icon_rolleyes.gif

Here is the article by Dr. Keene you refer to. The hairline is a little bit tricky in that you might have 50 hairs/cm2 at the edge, but right behind it you would have some two haired grafts and behind that some 3's. So you end up with a gradual fade into thicker hair that hopefully is not see-through.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery