Upcoming Surgery w/ Dr. Yaman (Jan 6th) - Advice Please!

Hey Forum, I’m looking for input ahead of my January 6th HT surgery with Dr. Yaman. I’m getting the pre surgery jitters and would love to hear some input from this community. The things that are causing me the most concern are 1) Did I choose the correct Dr 2) Creating a NATURAL hairline 3) Overharvesting the donor area. Below is a quick blurb on my background & my decision process. Any guidance / insight would be greatly appreciated!

My Background:
Im a 30 year old guy from the USA who’s been loosing my hair for the last 5ish years. I’ve been on Finasteride and Minoxidil for the last 1.5 - 2 years. The medication has significantly stopped the hair loss and seemed to regrow a bit. As you can see from my photos below, my hairline has fallen back a good amount, especially in the peaks (I’m getting that count Dracula look), I also have hair loss at my crown.
With my family having baldness on both sides I am destined to have that medieval friar look bestowed upon me, because of this, I started looking into my options. My hair use to be a bit longer, but I have since moved to the buzz cut due to me not liking how wispy and thin it was looking at a certain length. I’m hoping with this surgery I can reinforce my hairline, fill in the peaks, and add density throughout, with the ultimate goal  being to grow my hair back to a short / medium length.

My Decision:
I reached out to all the recommended Drs in Turkey that I read on the blogs...Pekiner, HLC, Bicer, and Keser were mostly out of budget. Out of the remaining group of Yaman, Turan, Gur I decided to go with Yaman (based on photos i’d seen and positive recent stories). Though I saw complains about his assistants preforming a decent amount of the work, as long as the DR was doing the important parts (hairline design / making the incisions) and the end result was a success, then it didn’t bother me that the assistants would be doing a portion of the work. I could be in the minority with my line of thinking on this, but I wouldn’t  expect a USA doctor to do the whole procedure themselves and I also don’t think that this surgery is horribly complex. Any-whom, that was my thought process and now i’m scheduled for Jan 6th.

1) Dr. Yaman - I’m not sure if it’s my laissez-faire attitude or trying to fight through all the misinformation im reading on the internet, but i’m getting the pre surgery jitters. I’ve seen a lot of comments on various boards about Yaman having “bad results recently” and I’m not sure if this is just some fake echo chamber talk or real! I’m looking for some REAL advice on what people think of Yaman? And is there a difference in his work and the others in his same class (Turan / Gur)? Would you feel comfortable with a surgery handled by him?
2) Creating a NATURAL hairline - You know when you analyze something so much that you kinda don’t even know what looks good or bad anymore, thats where i’m at right now. A top priority of mine is to have something that looks natural and not so 90 degree sharp. I’m afraid i’ll get to the appointment, and it all goes so fast, and then i’m completely at the mercy of the doctor. Im 30 years old and don’t want to lower my hairline (i’m fine with showing some age), i just want to reinforce the hairline and fill in the dramatic “Dracula” peaks...Any advise on how to design a hairline? or what you’d recommend for me?
3) Overharvesting - Many of the complaints I saw in the forums about many Turkish doctors was the threat of overharvesting. To protect against this fear, I decided to come up with my own number of grafts I felt comfortable with, that would then help negate this overharvesting being a problem.
Most of the American resources and studies I saw to told me that they wouldn’t recommend a HT with over 2,500 in a sitting. While realizing that western doctors are quite conservative in most things, I was thinking about setting my own limit to 3,000 grafts.... Upon initial consultation via WhatsApp, Dr. Yaman recommended 4,000 grafts. I’ve see lots of people getting 4,000+ transplants online and I know a lot of this depends on my donor area (from my non-educated opinion I think my donor area is quite healthy and thick with no thinning above the ears)... but i’m curious if 4,000 Is too many for one go? How should I best protect myself from an overharvest?

Thanks so much to anyone who is willing to provide some advice! I’m planning on documenting my experience and growth to help giveback to this community!

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.PNG

• Like 1

You did a great choice. Dr Yaman is a great surgeon providing consistent good and natural results. I'm also considering dr yaman for my hair transplant for the following reasons...Dr Yaman does a few patients per day, he participates in all of his hair transplants, by doing donor assement and measurements, plan, design and making the incisions, and his team does the extraction which in most clinics is done by techs too. Also as you can see from his results they are all natural ones with natural angles..Gur and turan are also good doctors too..so its up to you!

Edited by Reina

If you ask my opinion i would proceed with doctor Gur or doctor Turan. The best way to protect your donor is by making a good choice about the doctor that is going to operate on you. There are cases with 2500 grafts where the donor area gets overharvested because of poor technigues the clinic uses.

16 hours ago, USA_Hair_Journey said:
Hey Forum, I’m looking for input ahead of my January 6th HT surgery with Dr. Yaman. I’m getting the pre surgery jitters and would love to hear some input from this community. The things that are causing me the most concern are 1) Did I choose the correct Dr 2) Creating a NATURAL hairline 3) Overharvesting the donor area. Below is a quick blurb on my background & my decision process. Any guidance / insight would be greatly appreciated!

My Background:
Im a 30 year old guy from the USA who’s been loosing my hair for the last 5ish years. I’ve been on Finasteride and Minoxidil for the last 1.5 - 2 years. The medication has significantly stopped the hair loss and seemed to regrow a bit. As you can see from my photos below, my hairline has fallen back a good amount, especially in the peaks (I’m getting that count Dracula look), I also have hair loss at my crown.
With my family having baldness on both sides I am destined to have that medieval friar look bestowed upon me, because of this, I started looking into my options. My hair use to be a bit longer, but I have since moved to the buzz cut due to me not liking how wispy and thin it was looking at a certain length. I’m hoping with this surgery I can reinforce my hairline, fill in the peaks, and add density throughout, with the ultimate goal  being to grow my hair back to a short / medium length.

My Decision:
I reached out to all the recommended Drs in Turkey that I read on the blogs...Pekiner, HLC, Bicer, and Keser were mostly out of budget. Out of the remaining group of Yaman, Turan, Gur I decided to go with Yaman (based on photos i’d seen and positive recent stories). Though I saw complains about his assistants preforming a decent amount of the work, as long as the DR was doing the important parts (hairline design / making the incisions) and the end result was a success, then it didn’t bother me that the assistants would be doing a portion of the work. I could be in the minority with my line of thinking on this, but I wouldn’t  expect a USA doctor to do the whole procedure themselves and I also don’t think that this surgery is horribly complex. Any-whom, that was my thought process and now i’m scheduled for Jan 6th.

1) Dr. Yaman - I’m not sure if it’s my laissez-faire attitude or trying to fight through all the misinformation im reading on the internet, but i’m getting the pre surgery jitters. I’ve seen a lot of comments on various boards about Yaman having “bad results recently” and I’m not sure if this is just some fake echo chamber talk or real! I’m looking for some REAL advice on what people think of Yaman? And is there a difference in his work and the others in his same class (Turan / Gur)? Would you feel comfortable with a surgery handled by him?
2) Creating a NATURAL hairline - You know when you analyze something so much that you kinda don’t even know what looks good or bad anymore, thats where i’m at right now. A top priority of mine is to have something that looks natural and not so 90 degree sharp. I’m afraid i’ll get to the appointment, and it all goes so fast, and then i’m completely at the mercy of the doctor. Im 30 years old and don’t want to lower my hairline (i’m fine with showing some age), i just want to reinforce the hairline and fill in the dramatic “Dracula” peaks...Any advise on how to design a hairline? or what you’d recommend for me?
3) Overharvesting - Many of the complaints I saw in the forums about many Turkish doctors was the threat of overharvesting. To protect against this fear, I decided to come up with my own number of grafts I felt comfortable with, that would then help negate this overharvesting being a problem.
Most of the American resources and studies I saw to told me that they wouldn’t recommend a HT with over 2,500 in a sitting. While realizing that western doctors are quite conservative in most things, I was thinking about setting my own limit to 3,000 grafts.... Upon initial consultation via WhatsApp, Dr. Yaman recommended 4,000 grafts. I’ve see lots of people getting 4,000+ transplants online and I know a lot of this depends on my donor area (from my non-educated opinion I think my donor area is quite healthy and thick with no thinning above the ears)... but i’m curious if 4,000 Is too many for one go? How should I best protect myself from an overharvest?

Thanks so much to anyone who is willing to provide some advice! I’m planning on documenting my experience and growth to help giveback to this community!

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.PNG

Dr yaman is safe and good choice. So I would stick with him. You will be in safe hands with him, as he takes good care of his patients. You have the option to select manual extraction with dr yaman too, which will be a 2 day session. 
Regarding the number of grafts, 4000 grafts is not much. There are cases on this forum with 10.000-12.000 grafts in a 2 day or 3 day session from dr Zarev or dr pittella…

16 hours ago, USA_Hair_Journey said:

My Background:

My Decision:

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2364.PNG

Have you searched this forum for Dr Yaman results?

Maybe have a look at these and think again

Edited by BaldV
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gur Turan and Yaman are at the same level. Yaman is propably the best value for money option, where you cant find better doctor at his price point and he has more patient reviews..most of dr yaman's results are great ones and he is generally a good option where the doctor participates in all of his hair transplants.
There are always some not optimal results in every clinic even in very expensive ones. 
To summarise I would feel safe going with dr yaman. 

Edited by Divinehair

I was also worried about over harvesting. The positive results I saw on this thread were mostly done via manual punch instead of motorized punch (he does both). I asked about manual punch over the course of 2 days and although it was a little higher in price, I’m coming up to the 5 month mark and I’m happy with my progress so far. This was my second HT and I thought for sure I would be over harvested, but I’m happy to say that you can’t tell I had a HT. My donor area looks good. I’d recommend asking about this. I do not regret going to his clinic. 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 12:52 AM, USA_Hair_Journey said:

My Background:

My Decision:

I had surgery with Dr. Yaman last year, and I can't say enough good things about him. He's a skilled surgeon who genuinely cares about his patients' well-being. My advice would be to follow his pre-op instructions, ask any questions you have, and trust that you're in capable hands. Wishing you a smooth procedure and a speedy recovery!

25 minutes ago, Cayden said:

I had surgery with Dr. Yaman last year, and I can't say enough good things about him. He's a skilled surgeon who genuinely cares about his patients' well-being. My advice would be to follow his pre-op instructions, ask any questions you have, and trust that you're in capable hands. Wishing you a smooth procedure and a speedy recovery!

Hi @Cayden - I'm curious, what are his pre op instructions? Except taking finasteride ofcourse

@USA_Hair_Journey I have an appointment booked with Yaman a week after yours. Am thinking the same thing. I visited Yaman and Gur in their offices in person. Gur and his team were more patient with me spent much more time me. Yaman was busy I saw him going in and out of his office many time before he saw me.

I read on this forum and spoke to few hair clinics in London. Thier prices all vary and what they want to do with me hair is different slightly. All dont offer gurantee as its a surgery. 

My heart said Gur better but hes booked up until March 2024 and cost £2k more. Yaman see great reviews and bad too but from my limited knowledge I feel it depends on the person, personal health, if any damage was done during first few weeks to grafts, ie exposure to sun, wearing a hat etc and if they took finasteride and minoxidil. No one here can 100% say why one person HT is better than the others. I personally don't want to risk over harvesting but same time i said can my scalp get any worst (YES) but it would take a rookie to mess it up.

Alot is going through my mind and it will only get worst, so I decided to get it done and hope for the best. I mean Yaman is not a hill mill or some rouge surgeon from my research.

How long you staying in Turkey before heading back to the States? You should stay 1 week at least to let the grafts settle IMO. Don't want long journey back when your graft not fully settled and you move your head and rub the grafts off.