Is it possible to ONLY harvest single follicled grafts?

My hairline is very good but I just need some temple work done with just a few hundred grafts. I understand that the temples must use thin single follicle grafts to look natural, so I was wondering if a surgeon can only takeout single grafts and preserve the rest, because if they extract multi follicle grafts they will go to waste. 

I good clinic always uses microscopes to dissect double or multigrafts to create more singles for the hairline. This has two advantages, less scarring in the donor area and more grafts in the recipient area using less grafts from the donor area.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eze said:

My hairline is very good but I just need some temple work done with just a few hundred grafts. I understand that the temples must use thin single follicle grafts to look natural, so I was wondering if a surgeon can only takeout single grafts and preserve the rest, because if they extract multi follicle grafts they will go to waste. 

Surgeons can be selective. While you can split grafts, the hair in the temporal peaks are very fine so surgeons usually select single follicle (sometimes nape) hair to make them look as natural as possible.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor
7 hours ago, eze said:

Grafts from the temples generally are taken from around the ears with stereoscopic magnification, generally from behind. They need to be slow growing, soft and less darker than hair in other areas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jjalay said:

I good clinic always uses microscopes to dissect double or multigrafts to create more singles for the hairline. This has two advantages, less scarring in the donor area and more grafts in the recipient area using less grafts from the donor area.

I heard that dissecting the multi into singles damaged the hair and reduces its survival rate quite a bit? Is this true?