Follicular Unit Extraction

SaleemK

Hi, my blood group is 0+. I would like to something about the Follicular Unit Extraction. Firstly, if the procedure only involves movement of individual follicles of hair, is the procedure painful at all? Secondly, what are the precautions I need to take soon after the treatment and what are the precautions I need to take for the rest of my life (if I undergo this form of a hair transplant? Please reply in detail for which I would be grateful to you

Sparky is right. I haven't had a hair transplant yet but the most painful thing are the few injections and perhaps a couple of uncomfortable nights immediately after. Most people say the pain is nothing though, moderate at worst and after a few days it's all over.

In terms of precautions you don't need to do anything to look after transplanted hair. It's just old, bald resistant hair in a new area of your head. It will grow and behave like normal hair and will remain in place for the rest of your life.

There are a few things to bear in mind though:

You will have scarring. It will not be major and will be unnoticeable when your hair is normal length (say anything over a couple of centimetres or so) but it will happen. The scars with FUE are generally pretty small and almost look like a different skin "texture" but don't be fooled by anybody telling you there will be no scars; there are. They are easily concealable just by having normal length hair however. But if you ever shave all your hair off there would be small but noticeable scars where you had the hair extracted from.

Secondly a HT does not "cure" balding. It will replace hairs in bald areas but if you continue to bald further you may need additional HTs to cover this up. Your doctor will talk about all this with you. Generally speaking people are unsuitable for HTs below the age of around thirty because they may bald a lot more and the HT may look silly. Propecia or Minoxidil can help with this but one lifetime precaution is that a few years down the line (maybe 5, maybe 20, impossible to predict) you may need one or more further HTs to continue filling in bald or thinning areas.

Those are the main things. In short your blood group shouldn't make any difference and you won't have to take anything or do anything to look after transplanted hairs. To stop further hairloss, however, you may need to look into medications or commit yourself to further transplants in the future. This is not such a big deal if you are say 50 and have lost all the hair you are going to lose (or the vast majority of it) but it may impact you if you are 25 and just starting to thin and go bald. A good doctor will always talk through the options and problems with you though. It is best to think of a single hair transplant as part of a bigger plan. Your doctor will talk through the whole plan and tell you honestly if you can reach your goals and if one procedure is enough. They will give you the big picture and you can go from there. Don't hesitate to get a consultation though!