Finasteride - Dosage question

Sam K

Hi Everybody,

I would be grateful for feedback on the following question.

I have been taking Finasteride every second day. It has helped to restore some of my lost hair but the problem is that my skin has become extremely dry from it and I'm worried that it is aging faster.

Does anyone know if I take Finasteride once every 3 days whether it will still be effective in preventing hairloss?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Sam K,

I've never heard of dry skin being a potential side effect of finasteride. How do you know your dry skin is from this drug?

You could always consider coming off the drug and see if your dry skin clears up, or you could consult with a dermatologist to see if something else is causing the dry skin.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response to my post.

Basically I used to have slightly oily skin and a few weeks after taking Finasteride, my facial skin became extremely dry and flaky, and felt really tight.

As I continue to reduce my finasteride dosage, the dryness is decreasing.

FYI, I've read several similar reports re Finasteride causing dryness. Please see http://www.propeciahelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=439 for one such example.

My main concern is now whether or not finasteride will be effective in combating my thinning hair if I only take 1/4 tablet every 3 days. I would appreciate your feedback on this?

Thanks for your help.

Sam

Originally posted by Sam K:

[...] I have been taking Finasteride every second day. It has helped to restore some of my lost hair but the problem is that my skin has become extremely dry from it and I'm worried that it is aging faster.[...]

Well, I'm not an expert, but I think this could be an effect of finasteride.

I've been using finasteride and my scalp has become drier - but in my case, this was actually a blessing, because my scalp and hair were too greasy and they look much better now.