Dermatologist or Hair transplant surgeon?

Tripp

Hi all,

I'm at a stage where I've begun to notice hair loss at my temples and I'm keen to do something about it. By that I mean, I would like to get a professional opinion and accordingly start on prescribed hair loss meds instead of self-medicating. My hair loss isn't severe and therefore would like to get an accurate assessment and diagnosis.

My question is, would it be better to go to a dermatologist or to a hair loss surgeon for this? Also, would it be better to do an in-person consultation or would a virtual one suffice? I ask this because I've been considering doing a virtual consultation with a top hair loss surgeon but traveling to them for this would be out of the question. I'm aware that the virtual consultation alone would be quite expensive with a top surgeon but I would prioritize quality over money. Having said that, I don't know if a virtual consult can be as comprehensive as an in-person consult. I live in Germany and don't know which option would be best. Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dermatologists are generally useless when it comes to hair transplants. 

All of their money comes from preventing/treating skin cancer and non-hairloss related cosmetic treatments such as botox, acne, etc. 

Only go to a dermatologist for hairloss if for some reason that is your only option for getting a Finasteride prescription. And even then, don't expect the dermatologist to give you any sort of input or comprehensive evaluation into your hairloss. 

Essentially, a virtual or in-person assessment with an actual hair transplant doctor or trichologist is pretty much better in every way.