Diffuse thinning - HT advice

Hi All,

Age: 35 and have been a gradual thinner over a period of 15 years. Haven't really noticed how bad it was getting as it was really gradual and was going through some personal issues over that last few years and so didn't consider any treatment. Fear of side affects was a also a reason when I finally started thinking about treatment earlier this year.

Got rejected by Lorenzo saying it is a waste of time and effort as I will continue to loose hair without meds.

De Freitas said he would do it, but would not recommend proceeding without meds.

In the process of contacting other doctors at the moment for an assessment (Pinto, Ferreira..), but waiting for a consultation because of wait times.

Starting on Topical Finasteride from today, not sure about Minoxidil at the moment.

Do you think HT is an option for me? If so how many grafts do you think I will need? I am not looking for any lowering of hairline, just to fill in/density where my hairline currently is.

Thank you for your advice as always.

Edited by coffeeandpie

Why arent you thinking about taking oral finasteride? HT is an option yes and you will need probably something between 3000-4000 grafts to cover the hairline and the midscalp. But without medication is very likely that your hairloss may progress and in the future you will need another surgery for the cron and to add density. But your donor area is not infinite. Furthermore did freitas or lorenzo checked your donor area for miniaturization and what did they said about that.

If you have a lot of miniaturization in the donor area you definitely need meds, otherwise it is very likely that the transplanted hairs wont survive the surgery.

Thank you @jjalay

is topical fin not equally good? 

I understand the reason why they are asking me to start medication and hence the reason to start with topical. 

Both consultations were online however I did have a check up with a dermatologist and there is no miniaturization of the donor at the moment.

1 minute ago, coffeeandpie said:

Thank you @jjalay

is topical fin not equally good? 

I understand the reason why they are asking me to start medication and hence the reason to start with topical. 

Both consultations were online however I did have a check up with a dermatologist and there is no miniaturization of the donor at the moment.

Oral finasteride has better absorption and is more efficient than topical. If you have side effects from oral finasteride then you can swich to topical.

No miniaturization in the donor area is another plus for a hairtransplant. Using medication will help you maintain the hair that you have now on the top of your head and maybe strengthen the hair on the donor area.

I think you should consult with other doctors too and if its possible go for an in person consultation so that you can get a better judgment of your donor reserves and the size of the area on the top that needs to be covered.

Thank you @jjalay

I will give oral finasteride a try first then and see how it goes.

I am in the process of arranging consultations with other doctors at the moment but most of them have a 6 month wait time for in-person consultation.

Asked them to let me know if there are any cancellations 🤞

• Like 1

I'm also your age and have booked with Dr. De Freitas. I have recently started taking medication, 1 mg Finasteride and  5mg oral Minoxidil. Previously  I used Minoxidil as a foam and had no side effects. In the beginning, I had side effects from Finasteride but after some time (2 months) the side effects reduced.I started with 0.25 mg of finasteride and gradually increased it.  I strongly recommend continuing to take medication it will boost your hair a lot even after a short time you'll notice your hair is thicker and stronger. I guess you will need around 3000-3500 grafts but by consulting with different doctors you can make sure about the graft numbers.