Those who had HT, what are you doing to prevent further hair loss in the native area?

Hello all,

Just as the title says..

What is your current regimen to control hair loss after HT in the native hair. 2.5 months back I had a HT to fix my hairline. I have been on finasteride 1mg per day. I started taking Finasteride 10 months back(initially 0.5mg EOD then ED then after 3 months up the dose to 1mg/everyday). I'm also applying minoxidil 1ml on my beard; so, I don't know if that adds any benefit to hair. Also taking multi-vitamins at present. 

My concern is I am losing hair- I don't know maybe 10 or 20 while combing(like 5-6 each time). but definitely more while shampooing. I am unable to count during shower. But it could be 30-40 or more or less. 

But while looking at pics that were taken in April, 2023. I feel I have lost hair significantly. My crown has gone way thinner. This could not be shock loss right?? I mean, I had HT 75 days back but crown was not even touched.. 

Is this the time to add Minoxidil 5% topical once or twice a day to hair??? I am worried. 

Help Please 

I have been taking Dutasteride twice weekly for 8 weeks & 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks, too early to tell if anything’s happening lol…

I also want to jump on Oral Minoxidil but seeing quite a few reports lately it’s bad for the heart and makes people look older as it messes with collagen?? 

Edited by Big Rome

• Valued Contributor

@shadow_god

Loosing 50-100 hairs a day is considered normal ...plus you may be affected by shedding due to medication.

Finasteride and minoxidil can cause shedding..finasteride works by reducing the production of a hormone called DHT that can contribute to hair loss, minoxidil promotes hair growth by increasing blood flow to the hair follicles

Shedding is a common initial side effect of minoxidil, and sometimes it can be mistaken as worsening hair loss. This shedding occurs because minoxidil encourages the hair follicles to enter a growth phase, causing the old hairs to fall out and make way for new, healthier ones. However, this shedding is usually temporary and can be a sign that the treatment is working.

Finasteride may also lead to a temporary increase in shedding, as it affects the hair growth cycle. Some people experience this shedding within the first few months of using the medication. However, over time, it can help stabilize and even regrow hairs.

Though if the situation persists for long or if it worsens than you should consult a good doctor and get yourself checked 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

11 minutes ago, A_4_Archan said:

@shadow_god

Loosing 50-100 hairs a day is considered normal ...plus you may be affected by shedding due to medication.

Finasteride and minoxidil can cause shedding..finasteride works by reducing the production of a hormone called DHT that can contribute to hair loss, minoxidil promotes hair growth by increasing blood flow to the hair follicles

Shedding is a common initial side effect of minoxidil, and sometimes it can be mistaken as worsening hair loss. This shedding occurs because minoxidil encourages the hair follicles to enter a growth phase, causing the old hairs to fall out and make way for new, healthier ones. However, this shedding is usually temporary and can be a sign that the treatment is working.

Finasteride may also lead to a temporary increase in shedding, as it affects the hair growth cycle. Some people experience this shedding within the first few months of using the medication. However, over time, it can help stabilize and even regrow hairs.

Though if the situation persists for long or if it worsens than you should consult a good doctor and get yourself checked 

I get that losing 50-100 hairs per day is acceptable, but that's for normal people. I have been losing hair for almost 12-13 years. Have lost maybe 40-50% or so. So, even 30 hairs at this point of time, is scary to me. I have been on Fun for nearly 10 months. Only applying minoxidil on beard and that's too for past 9 months. So, it can't be shedding. 

Please refer to the wet hair pics. I have uploaded above. 

Is this time to add minoxidil topical once or twice on hair like crown or mid scalp?

10 hours ago, Big Rome said:

I have been taking Dutasteride twice weekly for 8 weeks & 3 times a week for the last 3 weeks, too early to tell if anything’s happening lol…

I also want to jump on Oral Minoxidil but seeing quite a few reports lately it’s bad for the heart and makes people look older as it messes with collagen?? 

Did you try finasteride? How was the experience ??

• Valued Contributor
6 hours ago, shadow_god said:

Is this time to add minoxidil topical once or twice on hair like crown or mid scalp?

Yeh you should ofcourse add minoxidil 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023