Pimples in recipient area - celebrated?

7 minutes ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

It can be a sign of new growth (and ingrowing hair). It's generally one of the first signs you see right before hairs pop through.

Got it, but not all come in ingrown - some will come up normally right?

As long as they look like normal pimples and aren't a symptom of an infection, then yes pimples are a great sign. Pimples indicate there is activity going on and the follicles will pop through. 

If I am a few months post-op, I would take a pimpled out scalp over a barren but clean scalp any day of the week. 

12 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

As long as they look like normal pimples and aren't a symptom of an infection, then yes pimples are a great sign. Pimples indicate there is activity going on and the follicles will pop through. 

If I am a few months post-op, I would take a pimpled out scalp over a barren but clean scalp any day of the week. 

I'm right there with you!  :)

This isn’t true. I had zero pimples and very clean scalp and growth happened.

Pimples are a sign of either harsh chemicals in shampoos irritating the scalp or perhaps touching your scalp with dirty hands too often and getting an infection. 

9 minutes ago, Turkhair said:

This isn’t true. I had zero pimples and very clean scalp and growth happened.

Pimples are a sign of either harsh chemicals in shampoos irritating the scalp or perhaps touching your scalp with dirty hands too often and getting an infection. 

That's what I was thinking.  An ingrown hair is typically a sign of something not going right - which is why I was surprised to see people so happy to see them.

I have 3100 grafts and perhaps 20 pimples. I used the clinic recommended shampoo (pH balanced and natural) and kept my scalp clean. 

I've got to the 8 week mark on my second surgery and am seeing early signs of growth, and one or two pimples.

Makes me happy given past experience. My logic is that the first hairs growing where none have for years will need to puncture the skin, and it'd be expected that it'd result in some ingrowing hairs initially before they're strong enough.

I have a thick scalp, so I suspect others with thinner scalps will see less irritation. I also exercise most days which inevitably will lead to sweating (and some irritation of open wounds).

Blaming it on harsh chemicals or poor hygiene is presumptuous and unhelpful, imho.

Edited by BackFromTheBrink

1 hour ago, Logan_P said:

That's what I was thinking.  An ingrown hair is typically a sign of something not going right - which is why I was surprised to see people so happy to see them.

Pimples aren’t really a good thing. According to Mayoclinic; 

Pimples are raised red spots with a white center that develop when blocked hair follicles become inflamed or infected with bacteria. Blockages and inflammation deep inside hair follicles produce cystlike lumps beneath the surface of your skin.

Edited by Turkhair