Scalp Care Surgery Lead Up

Hey everyone,

Can anyone advise a beneficial scalp care routine for the lead up to surgery which might improve the conditions required for the grafts to grow?

Ive got my 1st procedure booked in 10 weeks.

44yo. Norwood 6. Dont currently use any meds (not to keen about fin). I generally look after myself. Decent diet; no junkfood/sugar. Non smoker, minimal alcohol. Moderate weekly exercise. Not overweight. No health issues.

Im curious about Specific vitamins? Derma punching/rolling? Minoxidil?

Thanks!

@Jamie_Finndust,

Other than keeping your scalp clean, there really isn’t anything you have to do to your hair or scalp to prepare for hair transplant surgery.  That said, your surgeon should have provided you with some pre-operative instructions which likely include a list of dos and don’ts. Just be sure that you follow those.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplnt

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Finndust said:

Hey everyone,

Can anyone advise a beneficial scalp care routine for the lead up to surgery which might improve the conditions required for the grafts to grow?

Ive got my 1st procedure booked in 10 weeks.

44yo. Norwood 6. Dont currently use any meds (not to keen about fin). I generally look after myself. Decent diet; no junkfood/sugar. Non smoker, minimal alcohol. Moderate weekly exercise. Not overweight. No health issues.

Im curious about Specific vitamins? Derma punching/rolling? Minoxidil?

Thanks!

Pre op, and it's not so much for improving the conditions for the grafts to grow, but for the overall success of the procedure.  No exercise a week prior. This will cause you to bleed.  If you flood the field, the doctor can't see what he's doing.   Avoid all vitamins, including fish oil.  Simple things, such as onions, garlic, turmeric can also cause you to bleed.  What's more worry-some however, is the fact you're not doing any sort of regimen to help you retain the native hair.  Let me give you some basics which hopefully will help you.

Donor limitation often drives this industry, particularly when you're dealing with an advanced pattern.  There's typically not enough available to allow for density throughout the entire pattern.  It's for this reason most ethical doctors will concentrate their effort, at least initially, to the front.  It's the area you see when looking at yourself.  It's also the area others see when they interact with you.  Now the crown.

Think of the crown as a circle. You fill it.  Because you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing.  You go on to lose everything around the island worth of hair and now you've created a target area and an unnatural pattern.  Retention of the native hair becomes imperative.

Finasteride and Miinoxidil are considered to be the best meds for retention towards the crown.  The problem is a year later when people see no visual change, not understanding, the meds are not intended for you to grow anything.  They're to keep you from losing more.  If a year later you look the same, the meds did what they were intended to do.  Research PRP and Laser.  When done correctly, these can help reverse miniaturization.

If you're concerned with potential side effects of any modality, do the others.  With regards to Fin, it's also now available as a topical solution - by the way.  

If you end up not doing anything to help you retain, avoid working the crown.  You can have the doctor work the horizontal plane.  The farther back he works, the smaller the size of the crown.  Having hair in the front will always serve you well.  It'll frame your face and give you styling options.  

Lastly, be pattern appropriate.  Bringing attention to yourself with an unnatural result is not a good thing.  A class 6, for example would never have a hairline in the middle of the forehead.

What number of grafts will you be doing?  It's uncanny how many posts I read about this.  4K, 5K, 6K grafts.  Most believe 2000-2500 grafts in a single procedure is fairly standard.  So, how do you get to much greater numbers? You could do FUT and FUE, (2 consecutive days), or split grafts.  Consider, a follicular unit can have 1-5 hairs. You could take a 5-hair graft and convert into 5) 1-hair grafts.  You would achieve the number but not the density.  A diffused result - unnatural.

Who will be doing the procedure? 

So many things can have an impact on the overall result.  Research.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

2 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

Pre op, and it's not so much for improving the conditions for the grafts to grow, but for the overall success of the procedure.  No exercise a week prior. This will cause you to bleed.  If you flood the field, the doctor can't see what he's doing.   Avoid all vitamins, including fish oil.  Simple things, such as onions, garlic, turmeric can also cause you to bleed.  What's more worry-some however, is the fact you're not doing any sort of regimen to help you retain the native hair.  Let me give you some basics which hopefully will help you.

Donor limitation often drives this industry, particularly when you're dealing with an advanced pattern.  There's typically not enough available to allow for density throughout the entire pattern.  It's for this reason most ethical doctors will concentrate their effort, at least initially, to the front.  It's the area you see when looking at yourself.  It's also the area others see when they interact with you.  Now the crown.

Think of the crown as a circle. You fill it.  Because you've shown the propensity to lose, you'll continue losing.  You go on to lose everything around the island worth of hair and now you've created a target area and an unnatural pattern.  Retention of the native hair becomes imperative.

Finasteride and Miinoxidil are considered to be the best meds for retention towards the crown.  The problem is a year later when people see no visual change, not understanding, the meds are not intended for you to grow anything.  They're to keep you from losing more.  If a year later you look the same, the meds did what they were intended to do.  Research PRP and Laser.  When done correctly, these can help reverse miniaturization.

If you're concerned with potential side effects of any modality, do the others.  With regards to Fin, it's also now available as a topical solution - by the way.  

If you end up not doing anything to help you retain, avoid working the crown.  You can have the doctor work the horizontal plane.  The farther back he works, the smaller the size of the crown.  Having hair in the front will always serve you well.  It'll frame your face and give you styling options.  

Lastly, be pattern appropriate.  Bringing attention to yourself with an unnatural result is not a good thing.  A class 6, for example would never have a hairline in the middle of the forehead.

What number of grafts will you be doing?  It's uncanny how many posts I read about this.  4K, 5K, 6K grafts.  Most believe 2000-2500 grafts in a single procedure is fairly standard.  So, how do you get to much greater numbers? You could do FUT and FUE, (2 consecutive days), or split grafts.  Consider, a follicular unit can have 1-5 hairs. You could take a 5-hair graft and convert into 5) 1-hair grafts.  You would achieve the number but not the density.  A diffused result - unnatural.

Who will be doing the procedure? 

So many things can have an impact on the overall result.  Research.

I've not heard the recommendation about stopping exercise before. How does it increase bleeding? From my experience heart rate and blood pressure are raised directly after exercise but always back to baseline by the following morning.