Minoxidil 15% - overkill?

I've been using Minoxidilmax dualgen15 for about 3 years now and have definitely noticed improvement. What I've been reading is 5% seems to be the upper limit for most minoxidil products, but the one I use has 15%. Any advice on whether I should continue using what I am using or perhaps switch to a lower concentration of minoxidil would be appreciated. Ingredients posted below:

Minoxidil: 15.0%

Finasteride: 0.1% (1mg of finasteride in 1 mL)

Azelaic acid: 5%

ABN Complex TM : (0.8%)

Retinol: 0.025%

Caffeine: 0.001%

Using 1mL per day

@mrmajified,

More isn’t always more. In other words, just because 15% minoxidil is offered, it doesn’t mean it’s necessarily any more effective than the 5% minoxidil. It may be more potent but you’re interested in knowing about efficacy rather than strength of the solution.

in my opinion, I’ve never seen any evidence to suggest that 15% minoxidil is any more effective than The 5% solution. Instead, you may want to consider using the 5% twice a day if you’re only using it once today. If you’re already using it twice a day, You may want to consider adding another hair loss treatment to the regimen such as finasteride if you’re not already. Also consider platelet rich plasma (PRP), ketoconozole cream or shampoo (depending on what you get your hands on such as Extina, Revita or Nizoral).

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Trandplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

26 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@mrmajified,

More isn’t always more. In other words, just because 15% minoxidil is offered, it doesn’t mean it’s necessarily any more effective than the 5% minoxidil. It may be more potent but you’re interested in knowing about efficacy rather than strength of the solution.

in my opinion, I’ve never seen any evidence to suggest that 15% minoxidil is any more effective than The 5% solution. Instead, you may want to consider using the 5% twice a day if you’re only using it once today. If you’re already using it twice a day, You may want to consider adding another hair loss treatment to the regimen such as finasteride if you’re not already. Also consider platelet rich plasma (PRP), ketoconozole cream or shampoo (depending on what you get your hands on such as Extina, Revita or Nizoral).

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Trandplant

Hello and thank you for your response. This solution has finasteride in it already. I'm mostly concerned that 15% minoxidil could be more harmful than helpful.

On the topic of shampoo - do you recommend using any of these after a hair transplant? I had a transplant close to 3 months ago now.

Thanks!

I personally would not change anything if it is working. You might induce some temporary shed after switching 15% to 5%. I personally switched from 10% to 5% and there was shed for sometime.

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

@mrmajified

Leave aside the side effects ...but there isn't any strong evidence to suggest that 15% is better ....5% once a day or may be twice is enough and you don't need to go any higher than this....you can use ketoconazol shampoo twice a week ....

• Like 1

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023