Smoking after hair transplant

I'm a smoker who typically consumes 4-5 cigarettes daily, sometimes even 6. I managed to quit for about 2 months before my surgery and maintained it for two weeks post-operation. However, after that, I reverted to my old smoking habits. Every few days, I'll dispose of my cigarettes only to buy new ones later on.

I'm considering seeking professional assistance to help me quit for good. My online research unnerved me; while I knew smoking could impede scalp healing, I mistakenly believed it would be alright after my scalp healed post-surgery. There are discussions suggesting that smoking might lead to unsuccessful transplants, though the information isn’t definite.

Considering I've stopped smoking as of yesterday and intend to continue not smoking, could the cigarettes I've had until now jeopardize my transplant's outcome?

Additionally, I began using minoxidil around 2.5 weeks after the surgery. Could this possibly counteract the negative effects of nicotine on the newly transplanted grafts?

• Like 1

Possibly, I'm not sure if it would "ruin" the transplant but I think it could delay healing. Smoking is known to effect your skin, hair, nails, etc. 

I think for the most part, you should stop all recreational drugs, alcohol, etc, before a transplant. But ask the doctor you are thinking of getting an HT with. They'll tell you what you need to do. 

I would encourage to quit smoking altogether, if you're going to invest in something as costly as a hair transplant, add making a huge life change to the cost. 

As for the rogaine, believe me; you would not want to do until like 2 - 3 months after. Rogaine foam always made my sting skin, so I couldn't even imagine how that would feel on the recipient area. But again, you'll has this out with your doctor. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

@mavigo thank you for your answer.

I forgot to mention I already had FUE HT 6 weeks ago, I followed all pre-op instruction, also post-op instruction but i struggled with smoking. so I have been smoking in total 4 weeks averaging 4 cigarettes a day. 

As for your comment about minoxidil, my doctor advised me to use finarsteride and minoxidil befor the HT and when we compared the effect I gained a lot of hairs and he said that I am responding well so I didn't want to lose it, also many said it is ok to use after 3 weeks, my recipient area looks fine so you think I should stop and wait a month or so? (my recipient area completely shed and you can't even tell I had HT also due to the fact I am african so there is no redness at all)

• Thanks 1

From my personal experience. I'm a smoker, about 10-13 cigarettes a day, I quit 2 weeks before the surgery and if I remember correctly I started smoking again 2 weeks after the surgery. My hair transplant were very successful so I don't think it affected my result. However, I think it affected my overall hair loss during the years before the surgery because I started smoking about 7 years ago and my hair loss accelerated soon after I started smoking. Could be a coincidence though. I also feel that I lose less hair when I stopp smoking because I've had a few weeks/month here and there when I completely stopped and noticed less hair on the hands when showering. I also used minoxidil during a couple of months after the surgery so it may have helped against the detrimental effects of smoking during the growth progress.