Safe donor area?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Patrick_Joyce said:

I guess my thought it how does it know that area also won't miniaturize in the future?

Nobody knows. They take an educated guess. If you have very little miniaturization then you should be good for at least a number of years, so you take a chance and use those hairs. If there is a lot of miniaturization then you are already thinning there and taking hair from there is not going to last very long. You are not going to suddenly lose all of your donor area overnight, so even if you develop some thinning some years after your hair transplant, it's not going to be fine one day and suddenly bald the next. 

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators

The safe zone is different for everyone. I've seen completely bald on top NW 6 guys with super dense donor areas and I've seen guys with full head of hair on top with thinning donor areas. Some guys don't have any safe zone at all. If you are looking into a hair transplant you really should take an honest look at yourself and your older relatives to get an idea of where you may be heading.

Also some people think that once you reach NW 7 you aren't going to lose any more hair. This is not always true. I myself am a NW 7 and continue to lose hair in the donor zone to the point where I have almost no hair at all on the sides and back of my head.

• Like 2

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

4 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

The safe zone is different for everyone. I've seen completely bald on top NW 6 guys with super dense donor areas and I've seen guys with full head of hair on top with thinning donor areas. Some guys don't have any safe zone at all. If you are looking into a hair transplant you really should take an honest look at yourself and your older relatives to get an idea of where you may be heading.

Also some people think that once you reach NW 7 you aren't going to lose any more hair. This is not always true. I myself am a NW 7 and continue to lose hair in the donor zone to the point where I have almost no hair at all on the sides and back of my head.

if the donor thins over time then it really isn't really "safe".  We really need gene therapy or something else besides HT's.

16 hours ago, BeHappy said:

Nobody knows. They take an educated guess. If you have very little miniaturization then you should be good for at least a number of years, so you take a chance and use those hairs. If there is a lot of miniaturization then you are already thinning there and taking hair from there is not going to last very long. You are not going to suddenly lose all of your donor area overnight, so even if you develop some thinning some years after your hair transplant, it's not going to be fine one day and suddenly bald the next. 

That's true, but what will your head look like down the road of you happen to develop more thinning along the sides and crown and now you have a gap between your donor and the hair transplanted on top?