is there a way to avoid shedding after an ht?

hi mates,

is there a way to avoid shedding after an ht?
  • who didn't have shedding and what was done about it?
    I am thinking of certain massages, therapies, medication etc.
  • it would also at least be enough not to lose more than 50% !
  • is it more positive or negative to have shedding?
    or does it not matter what the final result is concerned
Thanks for the answers!

I think the simple answer is no - it's not clear what determines how much hair is shed.

It's also no indication of the end result.

Logically you'd assume it's related to the amount of trauma the graft was exposed to during surgery and individual physiology.

I'm yet to see a case of the alleged 5 percent of people that don't shed, and I must have looked at hundreds of results.

It could even be an urban myth...

Edited by BackFromTheBrink
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BackFromTheBrink said:

I think the simple answer is no - it's not clear what determines how much hair is shed.

It's also no indication of the end result.

Logically you'd assume it's related to the amount of trauma the graft was exposed to during surgery and individual physiology.

I'm yet to see a case of the alleged 5 percent of people that don't shed, and I must have looked at hundreds of results.

It could even be an urban myth...

what’s the shedding period? can you shed as early as a week/10 days? 

It's like relocating and planting an annual flower at the end of season.

May be able to enjoy it for a very short time, but that's not the 'real thing', and it'll soon wither. 

Next season will begin growing the real thing, you'll lose the current flower quickly.

Stay faithful though as the bulb (graft) has been planted :)

@Met,

Unfortunately, there really is no way to prevent the initial transplanted hair shedding after your surgical hair restoration procedure.  That said, some seem to have gotten lucky and their transplanted hair just continued to grow from the day of surgery and never stopped. Those few lucky stars also typically don’t have to worry about shock loss and don’t have to wait for the transplanted hair to start regrowing back, thickening and maturing over the next 12 to 18 months.

But as far as controlling this phenomenon and attempting to re-create it, there doesn’t seem to be any known way. Some have surmised/proposed that using minoxidil after your procedure might at least jumpstart early growth and might also be partially responsible in preventing the initial hair shed.  But there is no real proof of this and, not everybody who uses minoxidil after their procedure gets to benefit from this phenomenon.

Sorry I don’t have the magical formula you were looking for but I’m sure if this was known, Dr.. Rahal and other surgeons would include this in the procedure or if it was something you have to do postop, would teach patients how to accomplish this.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.