How long does it take for hair to thicken and grow

I’m already 3 months post op and the front area (hairline and behind hairline) is still short and thin. How long does it take for the transplanted hair to thicken up and mature to match the rest of my hair? 

Also for how long do I need to continue wearing a hat to protect my scalp from the outside elements? (Sun, UV, pollution etc.) 

• Valued Contributor

@Sunset Dune usually people start seeing noticeable growth after 4th month and the biggest difference will be seen at 8th or 9th month and after that it slows down a bit but the hairs get more matured and thick and thats why for full results have to wait for 12-14 months ....but still this thing varies from person to person ..some are early growers and get the growth very soon and some are slow growers who takes more time than usual ones....medication also plays a role in this...thats why there is no answer other than to wait for 12-14 months and evrythng will be clear to you...

Need to protect your scalp till it is completely healed and there is no fixed days for that...once you are sure that it is completely healed you can atop wearing hats 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

On 7/16/2023 at 1:33 PM, Sunset Dune said:

I’m already 3 months post op and the front area (hairline and behind hairline) is still short and thin. How long does it take for the transplanted hair to thicken up and mature to match the rest of my hair? 

Also for how long do I need to continue wearing a hat to protect my scalp from the outside elements? (Sun, UV, pollution etc.) 

To answer your question about hat protection...

You need to protect your scalp from the sun for 6 months.  You can expose it for like 15-20 minutes, but you shouldn't be tanning (or burning) that scalp in the sun.  

Re: your comment about crappy wispy hairs at three months postop...

I'm in the same boat as you.  We both had our procedures at around the same time.  I'm three months postop and I just have a few hairs sprouting that are very fine and thin.  If this is supposed to be 30% growth, then I'm completely screwed ha ha.  But I've seen enough cases on here to know that this means nothing right now.  Months 3 to 6 are so variable from person to person.  It's pointless to assess anything until the 6 month mark, and even then, your hair shafts will still be thinner/narrower than the final product.  

@Sunset Dune,

Surgical hair restoration is a process that takes up to 12 to 18 months to fully grow in and mature. For example, 4 to 6 weeks after your hair transplant, most, if not all of the transplanted hair will shed and fall out. That can be very daunting and discouraging to someone who doesn’t understand the process. But this is just a very natural part of the process given the trauma done to the scalp during hair restoration.

Between 3 to 5 months after your procedure, your newly transplanted hair will start to grow. But typically, it will start to grow in thin, fine, and colorless, not visible to the naked eye. But you can feel evidence of peach fuzz if you use your fingertips by touching areas of the scalp, where hair was transplanted.  Over the next 9 to 15 months, your newly transplanted hair will grow, thicken, darken, and mature. New hair will continue to pop out because all of the hair and will grow. It doesn’t reach while the hairs that have already broken through the scalp will begin to darken, thicken, and Sure and typically one year after her surgery, most people see pretty close to the final result. Slow growers may have to wait 18 months to see the final results

Best,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.