Oral Minoxidil Before Surgery

• Valued Contributor

@JCPS It takes time for any medication to work...you have to stop minoxidil at least 7 days before your surgery and than again start one week after your surgery ..so if you are nearing your surgery than you can start after surgery and if not than you can start soon after consulting a doctor...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

@JCPS,

Surgeons typically advise patients to stop using minoxidil a week or two before surgery.  Minoxidil in the bloodstream can thin out the blood making surgery more difficult.  Therefore, if you are going to use minoxidil, I would be sure to speak with your surgeon about whether or not lhe requires you to stop taking. Prior to surgery and then when he feels to see if you start up again after surgery.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

10 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@JCPS,

Surgeons typically advise patients to stop using minoxidil a week or two before surgery.  Minoxidil in the bloodstream can thin out the blood making surgery more difficult.  Therefore, if you are going to use minoxidil, I would be sure to speak with your surgeon about whether or not lhe requires you to stop taking. Prior to surgery and then when he feels to see if you start up again after surgery.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thanks @Rahal Hair Transplant Have you noticed a difference in overall effect based on the dosage amount? 1.25, 2.5 vs 5mg, etc…