Finasteride blood tests

Can anyone offer any advice on what blood tests to get and why before starting finasteride?

I'm aware of DHT, both systemically and otherwise, and have seen mention of 'free testosterone', but don't fully understand the relevance of that. And estrogen, androgen and others.

I'm interested both in predicting efficacy of the drug, but also having a baseline to compare later if any side effects should arise.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any good information on all of this that would be great, it's all a bit scattered online. Thanks 🙏

9 hours ago, MaximumMM said:

Can anyone offer any advice on what blood tests to get and why before starting finasteride?

I'm aware of DHT, both systemically and otherwise, and have seen mention of 'free testosterone', but don't fully understand the relevance of that. And estrogen, androgen and others.

I'm interested both in predicting efficacy of the drug, but also having a baseline to compare later if any side effects should arise.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any good information on all of this that would be great, it's all a bit scattered online. Thanks 🙏

From purely hormonal perspective the following should suffice. LH, FSH, Total Testosterone, Estradiol and DHT. 

I would be careful interpreting the lab values though, as hormone testing on finasteride is not validated for efficacy or side effects. But I certainly understand wanting to know those numbers "just in case."

Edited by Bhumik Shah MD
  • Like 1

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

I can understand the reasoning for establishing a baseline however the bloodwork will not help to “predict” the efficacy of the drug…you just have to take it for at least 6 months minimum.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

14 hours ago, Bhumik Shah MD said:

From purely hormonal perspective the following should suffice. LH, FSH, Total Testosterone, Estradiol and DHT. 

I would be careful interpreting the lab values though, as hormone testing on finasteride is not validated for efficacy or side effects. But I certainly understand wanting to know those numbers "just in case."

Thanks very much. 

Before starting finasteride, it's recommended to consult a healthcare professional for guidance on appropriate blood tests. These may include DHT levels to assess efficacy, testosterone levels for baseline and monitoring, free testosterone for hormone balance, estrogen levels for potential impact, and PSA for prostate health. Reputable medical sources and healthcare institutions can provide more detailed information. Seek personalized advice from a qualified professional for your specific needs. 

3 hours ago, candvlc said:

Before starting finasteride, it's recommended to consult a healthcare professional for guidance on appropriate blood tests. These may include DHT levels to assess efficacy, testosterone levels for baseline and monitoring, free testosterone for hormone balance, estrogen levels for potential impact, and PSA for prostate health. Reputable medical sources and healthcare institutions can provide more detailed information. Seek personalized advice from a qualified professional for your specific needs. 

Thanks very much, that's very helpful.

It's my understanding that you can't really assess efficacy from DHT levels btw, as it depends on androgen receptors.

You are correct. DHT levels alone cannot determine the efficacy of androgen-related treatments. The sensitivity of hair follicles to DHT, which is influenced by androgen receptors, also plays a significant role. Treatment effectiveness depends on reducing DHT levels and modulating androgen receptor activity. Assessing efficacy involves considering changes in hair growth patterns, thickness, and overall improvement in the condition being treated.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the quote back and it's really expensive! About £700 for the following:

DHT levels, Testosterone, Free testosterone, FSH, Estrogen, PSA prostate, Luteinizing hormone, Estradiol.

I am thinking I'll just get the 3 or 4 most important ones.

Does anyone have an opinion on what those might be?

If you are trying to save money, the ask your doctor what you think is the most important (in case something were to fall outside the normal range).

I would assume DHT, Testosterone, and Estrogen would be most useful...but maybe your doc has an opinion on which hormones should be closely monitored. 

• Like 1