Washing hats?

Hi all, 

I am day 50 post op but for the past 3 weeks I wore the same baseball cap when I went outside. I didn’t wash it lol is this a big deal? I just washed it today and will do it weekly, but I just wanted to see if not washing hats impacts anything or leads to any kind of issues.

i wash with shampoo and scrub my scalp each day to clean the area, so I’m assuming I’m fine and that should’ve taken care of any dirt or bacteria in my hat? It wasn’t even noticeably dirty or anything but just wanted to check. 

• Like 1

@Ralph kaka,

After 10 days, the newly transplanted hair follicles are deeply rooted underneath the surface of the scalp and thus, wearing a hat (clean or dirty) won't impact your hair growth.  That said, it's generally a good idea to do your best to keep your hair and scalp clean so it's probably a good idea to begin cleaning your hat every now and again if you are going to wear it regularly...especially if you are sweating in it.  

But don't worry, I've done the same thing even in the first couple of weeks after my hair transplant and then it dawned on me that I should be washing it.  But my hair transplant wasn't affected in any way.  So you're fine :-).

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.