What's the realistic number of grafts that can be transplanted / exist in one m2?

16 minutes ago, deepthoughts1 said:

Sorry everyone, i meant 1 cm2 (centimeters)

I think the I’ve seen the safest amount is between 40/50 grafts but more can be done for better density! One gent on here went to Dr Leal in Brazil & had over 70cm2

Just now, Big Rome said:

I think the I’ve seen the safest amount is between 40/50 grafts but more can be done for better density! One gent on here went to Dr Leal in Brazil & had over 70cm2

@Fue3361 this is the one… incredible result 

Kind of a hard question to answer.  It's kind of like asking "How many vehicles can fit in my garage?". Vehicles come in different shapes and sizes much like hair. So do garages.

It depends on the size of the follicles (width and depth), the recipient skin and thickness. I mean technically using the old punch technique they could transfer 100% of original density, but it looked very bad.

It's probably more worthwhile wondering how many grafts are needed for a good cosmetic result.

Hair restoration is both equal parts science, math, and artistry.  It's all about making something that looks natural enough to pass as such.

There are literally hundreds of considerations one should make when designing around naturalness.  I'll focus on 2 examples here.

1) You need to match density close enough with what you have.  If your parietal or lateral humps are 80 hairs per cm, then it would look rediculous to put 200 hairs per CM right next to things.  Human eyes are attracted to notice differences, it's the one thing they are super good at.  You'd be able to spot that something is wrong from across a room.

2) Your occipital hair is not the same as the hair that used to be on the top of your head.  There's probably a difference of about 10-20 micron, and since the amount surface area that your hair covers is a function of radius squared, that means that hair covers approximately 30-40% more light.  You don't need as much of it to have the same appearance.

There's so much more to talk about on this subject.  It's best to select a surgeon that know's what they are doing, because it really is a difficult matter to get right.

P.S. Another random thought is, that, perhaps because I'm getting closer to 40, it's simply not natural to see someone with no hair thinning.  I have maybe 1 or 2 friends with hair that looks like they are straight out of highschool, and honestly, they are in the minority.  Sure, it looks great, but honestly, it kinda sticks out in our crowd.  So I personally prefer transplants that have a mature hairline, and *slightly* thinned look, since that what's looks most natural in my opinion.