Traction alopecia or new hairloss pattern?

Hello all,

Looking at my crown to monitor regrowth, I'm noticing this small area on my occipital that is thin, but separated from my bald crown. It lies directly on the spot where my hard hat band rested, and I often wore my hardhat tight enough to cause headaches (I bend forward a lot and it would fall off, otherwise. 

20230605_1124412.thumb.jpg.2b03f3d2e638e7b7ba065d74044c2d4b.jpg

I can't find much evidence online that this is even possible,  but I've only noticed the thinning there in the past year or two since I started wearing the hard hat more. 

I'm slightly concerned about what this might mean for any transplanted grafts from that area. Do you suppose the doc would have seen this thin area and avoided it?

The dipping and loss in this area is showing that you have a Norwood 6 heading to Norwood 7. The surgeon would have seen this area and avoided it yes, since it wouldn’t be classed as part of the “safe zone”

3 hours ago, BRITA-XL said:

The dipping and loss in this area is showing that you have a Norwood 6 heading to Norwood 7. The surgeon would have seen this area and avoided it yes, since it wouldn’t be classed as part of the “safe zone”

I guess that's what I was afraid of. This is the first time I've seen it at the appropriate angle, when shorter, it looks more like a square or rectangular patch, here it looks to follow that nw7 line... I'm only related to one bald male and he's a nw5...

1 hour ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

its not unusual, that thinning „jumps“ 

are you on medication?

That thinning cannae make the jump, I'll have to toss it: 

Picsart_23-06-05_15-44-40-719.thumb.jpg.a1bdd7cf0efc24fc87f8442f8dd2bc74.jpg

And yep, I'm on oral minoxidil and a topical fin.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tater said:

I guess that's what I was afraid of. This is the first time I've seen it at the appropriate angle, when shorter, it looks more like a square or rectangular patch, here it looks to follow that nw7 line... I'm only related to one bald male and he's a nw5...

Yeah unfortunately we can’t rely on family members to know where we could end up. Love the pic btw 😂

That thinning area at the base of your crown is called the coronet area and is part of what distinguishes the difference between a class 6 and class 7…yes, the rubbing of your hard hat could be advancing the loss ahead of schedule.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY