Minoxidil - when to start?

alexmillne

Minoxidil - when to start?

I am a 37-year-old, who has been using Finasteride for around 2 years to address my hair loss at the Norwood 2 stage. In October, I have a hair transplant scheduled, and the recommended protocol suggests discontinuing the use of minoxidil approximately two weeks before the procedure, then resuming it two weeks after. This would mean a total of four weeks without minoxidil. Since I have never used minoxidil before, I am seeking advice on the best course of action. Should I start using minoxidil now and take the four-week break in October (resulting in 2.5 months of minoxidil usage, followed by a 4-week break, and then resuming), or would it be wiser to wait until after the hair transplant and begin using minoxidil for the first time two or three weeks after the procedure? I'm also curious about the advantages of using minoxidil now, especially since I am getting a hair transplant to address my receding hairline, whereas minoxidil is commonly known for its effectiveness in the crown area.

Thanks guys in advance for any help and guidance. 

20191231_145758.jpg

you can start minoxidil now. its not going to help much with hairline. And even if it does help there then more better for you. Your surgeon can see any new regrowth there and can place grafts near it while trying not to damage it. Under magnification its very easy for them. Any if you are worried about shedding caused by minoxidil then by october the hair you would have got them back.

Lastly if worried about the gap during HT when you would be off minoxidil then 4 weeks in total is fine. Dont take a more longer gap.

Alternate route of not starting minoxidil now and starting it 1 month after HT is also a choice but minoxidil causes temporary shedding so your HT shedding combined with minoxidil shedding can be too much for some people so they start it good time before HT.

In my opinion its best to get any gains you can from meds by taking them and then to get the HT in areas where meds didnt help.

Edited by duckling